Feather pecking and how to stop it… Please help!!!

Outnumbered23sons

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2024
Hello, I am a first time “poster” on here but have been visiting this site since I got my chickens 1.5 years ago. I appreciate all the helpful information I’ve found on this site, and thank you!!

I am reaching out today, to see if anybody has any ideas of how to stop my chickens from pecking at each other‘s tail feathers. It’s gotten out of hand. One of my chickens gets pecked so bad that her tail feathers and lower back our bare, and never have enough time to grow back before being pecked again. It started last year when it was really hot where I live and they were cooped up. That’s when the pecking/bullying began (hot weather and no free ranging) now it’s become a bad habit, even though they now free range everyday.

My question is has anyone else had this happen and do you have any advice you could give to stop this? I have tried a lot of different things, such as chicken saddle which at one point the chicken wore at all times, her tail feathers were growing back but it seemed to damage her shoulder area and irritated her shoulder feathers and back feathers (her feathers looked tattered) from the wear and tear of constantly having to wear a saddle.

I’ve also tried all the OTC anti feather pecking products, nothing seems to work, there are two chickens that are the “bullies” and now they are starting to peck my two other chickens tail feathers. I don’t know what to do? Has anyone had this happen, been able to solve this bad habit and had any success in stopping it in their flock?? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated, as I am at a loss of what to do!! (Pictures attached)

Thank you,
Kristen

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    670.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 35
May I ask what feed you provide for your girls ? Sometimes it’s due to a lack of a vitamin, sorry I don’t remember which.
Another problem may be overcrowding?
It is important you keep a close eye on your girls as any blood could lead to cannibalism, gross as this may sound. So any blood whip out the injured bird immediately until it heals.
Also is this a new thing or are your hens new ?
Are they eating the feathers or leaving them around, if the latter it may be mites and they are self pecking ?
Just some ideas I would look out for first.
Hugz

First, switch everyone to a feed with 20% protein. Second, separate the bullies for a week or 2. Third how big are your coop and run and how many total birds do you have? And fourth definitely try pinless peepers

The main causes of feather picking are too little room, boredom from not getting out to explore and forage, too much light inside the coop where they lay eggs, feeding an unbalanced diet with not enough protein, and some breeds tend to be more aggressive. Since it has become a habit, it may be harder to correct. I have had to rehome some beautiful wyandottes because they bullied my other hens. I have never used pinless peepers, but those are recommended because the chicken cannot see their target, but can get food and water. They come with a tool to apply them. They are only for the bully, not the others. If that doesn’t work, then I would rehome the bullies. But make sure that they are getting out to roam, and being fed a 16-20% protein balanced feed. I think they also get some nutrients from free ranging that they may be lacking. Good luck.

First, switch everyone to a feed with 20% protein. Second, separate the bullies for a week or 2. Third how big are your coop and run and how many total birds do you have? And fourth definitely try pinless peepers
Thank you for your suggestions!
1. We give them Scratch & Peck "layer mash" (I will switch their feed) We supplement with mealworms, live crickets, occasional live worms.
2. I plan to separate the bullies- Naomi & Cindy
3. Their run: 10ft x 7ft, 8 inches. Their coop: 4ft x 4 ft x6 ft.
We have 6 girls and they free range during the day (8 hours)

Here's pictures of the two other victims- Elle & Helena (showing their tail feathers) and the two bullies Naomi & Cindy & the feed we use.

Thank you so much for the advice. I have never heard of "pinless peepers. I will definitely try it as well as separating the bullies. I will let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    867 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    760.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The main causes of feather picking are too little room, boredom from not getting out to explore and forage, too much light inside the coop where they lay eggs, feeding an unbalanced diet with not enough protein, and some breeds tend to be more aggressive. Since it has become a habit, it may be harder to correct. I have had to rehome some beautiful wyandottes because they bullied my other hens. I have never used pinless peepers, but those are recommended because the chicken cannot see their target, but can get food and water. They come with a tool to apply them. They are only for the bully, not the others. If that doesn’t work, then I would rehome the bullies. But make sure that they are getting out to roam, and being fed a 16-20% protein balanced feed. I think they also get some nutrients from free ranging that they may be lacking. Good luck.
Thank you!!

May I ask what feed you provide for your girls ? Sometimes it’s due to a lack of a vitamin, sorry I don’t remember which.
Another problem may be overcrowding?
It is important you keep a close eye on your girls as any blood could lead to cannibalism, gross as this may sound. So any blood whip out the injured bird immediately until it heals.
Also is this a new thing or are your hens new ?
Are they eating the feathers or leaving them around, if the latter it may be mites and they are self pecking ?
Just some ideas I would look out for first.
Hugz
Great advice, thank you! This started last year in June, the weather was extremely hot and they were not free ranging. After that happened I let them free range everyday to present. Now it appears to be a bad habit, that I cannot break. No new hens, they were raised together their whole life (they are 1 year, 5 months) I have treated them for mites and tried all the OTC treatments, chicken saddles, etc. (except re-homing the bullies, I can't bring myself to do it)

I appreciate your time and will continue to try and solve this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom