Feather Pecking

Michael Propst

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
De Soto, KS 66018
I have searched this forum and could not find an answer to help. I have one chicken a 4-year-old Easter Egger that for the past 2 years has been the sole recipient of feather pecking on her head. I have 9 adults ages 4-7 and 5 new hens age 18 weeks. This has been going on with my one Easter Egger for 2 years. The coop and run are adequate in size plus they free range a 1/2 acre from just after sun rise to just before sun set. They have never tore the skin and cause bleeding just continue to peck all the feathers off her head and cause red irritated skin. They are on a 16% protein layer mash and get 40% protein grubs in the morning and evening. I have used ointments to help with the redness, but the pecking continues. Is there anything I can use as a preventative on her head, something natural like an essential oil? Since they free range all day I do not want to restrict their vision by using those blinders I have seen in other posts. After 2 years of this for her I just want to help relieve the bullying of her.
20240723_073253.jpg

I would try a higher protein ration. 16% protein is the daily bare minimum. I personally prefer 18-20%.

She looks like she's growing feathers back in, so upping the protein should help that, and hopefully stop the other ones from picking.

Is it only one or two that pull out the feathers? Many use Flock Raiser feed, 20%, and since it is balanced with all vitamins and minerals, that might be better than giving the grubs. When using an all flock feed, it is good to provided crushed oyster shell in a separate container than feed, so they take what they need.

I would try a higher protein ration. 16% protein is the daily bare minimum. I personally prefer 18-20%.

She looks like she's growing feathers back in, so upping the protein should help that, and hopefully stop the other ones from picking.
I am really looking for answers on a way to prevent this. I am not concerned with their diet I have actually spoken to a poultry nutritionist after losing a girl to fatty liver 7 years ago. Yes the feathers will start to grow back but then pecked away again. As mentioned this has been going on with this single girl for probably 2 years. And looking for a way to prevent it.

Is it only one or two that pull out the feathers? Many use Flock Raiser feed, 20%, and since it is balanced with all vitamins and minerals, that might be better than giving the grubs. When using an all flock feed, it is good to provided crushed oyster shell in a separate container than feed, so they take what they need.
From what I am seeing this more of a bully situation. I have see were she simply walks by another hen and the other will just peck her head. I am not concerned with their diet I have actually spoken to a poultry nutritionist after losing a girl to fatty liver 7 years ago. As mentioned I am really looking for a solution to prevent others from pecking and was hoping someone found something they could apply that was nature that would prevent the further pecking.

From what I am seeing this more of a bully situation. I have see were she simply walks by another hen and the other will just peck her head. I am not concerned with their diet I have actually spoken to a poultry nutritionist after losing a girl to fatty liver 7 years ago. As mentioned I am really looking for a solution to prevent others from pecking and was hoping someone found something they could apply that was nature that would prevent the further pecking.

I believe they are saying up the protien because chickens may peck feathers due to lack of protein. worth a shot.
I only listed their diet since in searching the 6 threads I read before posting mine everyone was saying feed and protein. My hens also free range all day so most of their diet is natural. For actual feed I have been feeding the same diet for 7 years and feather pecking has never been an issue except for the head of this single hen. In cases where I have actually seen another peck her head if they get even a bit of feather it is usually spit out.

I only listed their diet since in searching the 6 threads I read before posting mine everyone was saying feed and protein. My hens also free range all day so most of their diet is natural. For actual feed I have been feeding the same diet for 7 years and feather pecking has never been an issue except for the head of this single hen. In cases where I have actually seen another peck her head if they get even a bit of feather it is usually spit out.
Deficiencies can be cumulative. Several seasons of laying and molting slowly depletes them. Years ago I fed a layer ration and saw egg eating, increased aggression, and feather picking, and eventually cannibalism.

I switched to an 18% all flock ration and now I don't see these behaviors anymore. The 16% layer is generally formulated for confined hens. It's still recommended to switch to a higher protein ration during times of great protein needs, like molting because feathers are made of protein. If you continue to feed the 16% and your hens free range they can become depleted. Mine also free range. All that consumption of grass and seeds can cut the overall daily protein consumption.

I'm just sharing my experiences. Feather picking is usually from a deficiency or from crowding.

You can try peepers, or no pick sprays. Culling problem birds can also help.

Deficiencies can be cumulative. Several seasons of laying and molting slowly depletes them. Years ago I fed a layer ration and saw egg eating, increased aggression, and feather picking, and eventually cannibalism.

I switched to an 18% all flock ration and now I don't see these behaviors anymore. The 16% layer is generally formulated for confined hens. It's still recommended to switch to a higher protein ration during times of great protein needs, like molting because feathers are made of protein. If you continue to feed the 16% and your hens free range they can become depleted. Mine also free range. All that consumption of grass and seeds can cut the overall daily protein consumption.

I'm just sharing my experiences. Feather picking is usually from a deficiency or from crowding.

You can try peepers, or no pick sprays. Culling problem birds can also help.
Thanks for your input. To make one correction in their diet it is currently 18% grower feed for the past 6 weeks. I changed over to grower after integrating my new hens until they are at least 20 weeks old. I will try staying full time with the 18% and see if the behavior stops. As far as space they have plenty of room

Back
Top Bottom