Feed and water in the coop at night?

chicken mark

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
I have 4, 8 week old hens with a coop and tractor run, if I put the chickens in the coop at night, do I need to put water and feed in there.
I have the feed and water out in the run and would take it up at night to keep the mice out of it. With the enclosed run would I still need to close them in at night? I'm thinking of added some heavier fence wire to the chicken wire that is already there for added protection.
I am currently bring them into my garage in a 2' x 4' box with a removable wire top at night and then take them out in the morning.
Any suggestions would be great.

I do not keep food and water inside the coop. I think it draws rodents. And I don't think my chickens either eat or drink at night. They roost all night, til just before dawn.

I try to keep enough feed so that there is just a little left at the end of the day. Too much, I feed a little less, empty, I feed a little more. I take out fresh water each morning. However, if I am going to be gone for a couple of days, I still have the feed outside, but do have enough to last a couple of days.

Works for me.

I don't think they need it in the run at night. I was worried about this myself and mine are only five weeks old and have been fine. I am thinking about making a spot for the food and water in the winter time, when they might not want to go out much, but for now it's better for us to just take it all up to keep the rodents away, just like you said.

big_smile.png

I was happy that when I went out there today, they had already put themselves in the coop

Update, its been 5 nights and they are doing fine, it got a cool a couple of nights so i plugged a 75 watt bulb in coop in the corner. I shut them in the coop after dark, I have light on a timer that comes on at dark and goes off at 9pm. I go out before 9pm and shut the door. In the morning I let them out at sun up and they are fine. I still can't tell my girls apart going to have to get some braclets for them
4 Barred Rock Hens

I think we all have different opinions I keep food 24 -7 and water for 6 weeks after that I make sure all is clean and full in the AM .. If you are using house hold bulbs do you have a cover as they can be pecked so easily and break and cause problems : ) Not trying to sound like a know it all just hoping to avoid a problem ..

In the winter, if I have supplemental light in the coop timed to start at 4:00 a.m., can the chickens manage in the coop for two hours before being fed, watered and let out into the run?

In the winter, if I have supplemental light in the coop timed to start at 4:00 a.m., can the chickens manage in the coop for two hours before being fed, watered and let out into the run?
You don't want the coop open to the run when it's still dark unless your run is very predator proof.
If the lights are on, they need water and feed, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom