Feedback for 8x8 coop inside layout

Huh. Don't see pics of your poop boards in your media pages.

They were in my original coop. My newer coop does not have them.
My original was an 8x8 converted shed. Those roosts were in an L shape, 24" off the floor with droppings boards at 20" above the floor.
I tore that structure down for 2 reasons. It was insulated and mice liked the wall cavities. It was to small when I added birds.

I have not uploaded pics of it since the format change. They are in my desktop computer which is taken down so I can paint.

Yep, it's sounding like the deep eaves will be needed. I'm also curious if we think that the front and back area above the walls should simply be screened and left "open" all year round? Maybe the pics I added here will help with that discussion.
Just how cold do you get?

My baby sister has a coop with the entire top half wire. Her perch does get a breeze. It works well for her... she hasn't lost any birds due to cold... and she does get occasional freezing weather as well as occasional strong storms with wind. She lives in mid Texas.

There the main killer is heat, not cold. And there, a breeze is very helpful in cooling off the birds.

@Alaskan Researching a bit and they say that our average low is 37 degree F in the winter. This winter we've been down to the mid-upper 20's, but that's been about the coldest. Not like the Minnesota winters I grew up in, that's for sure.

Based on all the feedback that I've gotten, here's what I plan to do:
  • build the plans as spec'd with the 3x2 windows all around
  • extend the eaves
  • add in ridge venting which the shed already called for in the plans
  • add louvered gable vents to each end
  • reduce the poop board to 24" in size, centering the roost bar at 12" and raising it up to 8"
  • wire cloth the windows, and build awning style windows that open out
Sunday night update: Sorry for the delay in posting here, I had to put in a little extra time for work. I bought all the lumber for the flooring and walls yesterday, and am going to finish up cutting my pieces tonight. I'll then put my joist measurements on my boards and I plan to build the framing during the evenings this week.

lumber.jpg

@Alaskan Researching a bit and they say that our average low is 37 degree F in the winter. This winter we've been down to the mid-upper 20's, but that's been about the coldest. Not like the Minnesota winters I grew up in, that's for sure.

Based on all the feedback that I've gotten, here's what I plan to do:
  • build the plans as spec'd with the 3x2 windows all around
  • extend the eaves
  • add in ridge venting which the shed already called for in the plans
  • add louvered gable vents to each end
  • reduce the poop board to 24" in size, centering the roost bar at 12" and raising it up to 8"
  • wire cloth the windows, and build awning style windows that open out
Sunday night update: Sorry for the delay in posting here, I had to put in a little extra time for work. I bought all the lumber for the flooring and walls yesterday, and am going to finish up cutting my pieces tonight. I'll then put my joist measurements on my boards and I plan to build the framing during the evenings this week.

View attachment 1284179
sounds like an excellent plan!

Back
Top Bottom