Feeding Ducklings - Protein

123michaer4

Hatching
May 29, 2019
Currently I am feeding my 6 week old ducklings a feed of 19% crude protein, but someone suggested that I should change feed , as this protein content is too high. Is that the right thing to do? and if so, and feed suggestions?
Thank you

Currently I am feeding my 6 week old ducklings a feed of 19% crude protein, but someone suggested that I should change feed , as this protein content is too high. Is that the right thing to do? and if so, and feed suggestions?
Thank you
You could switch to a lower protein , but you don't *need* to. What is more important than the protein content is that the food should contain the proper nutritional requirements for the ducks.
https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/7

Keep in mind that the numbers shown in that link are the *minimum* requirements, not the maximum safe amounts. If you can get something like Purina Flock Raiser, or Nutrena All Flock, that would be best because both are formulated for ducks and will have the proper amounts of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

I use 16 % protein chick starter. Too much protein when they grow their wing feathers can cause angel wing.
Would it surprise you to know that there are people that feed 16% protein that have problems with angel wing and people that feed 27% protein that never have problems with angel wing?

Would it surprise you to know that there are people that feed 16% protein that have problems with angel wing and people that feed 27% protein that never have problems with angel wing?

Thanks for the extra info and sorry if I came across as black-and-white. I assumed angel wing whas the reason why someone told OP she should change feed, so I mentioned it. Obviously there are a multitude of factors involved in angel wing, not just protein percentage.

Thanks for the extra info and sorry if I came across as black-and-white. I assumed angel wing whas the reason why someone told OP she should change feed, so I mentioned it. Obviously there are a multitude of factors involved in angel wing, not just protein percentage.
Hey, no worries. Like many, I used to think too much protein was the cause, but I have since learned that it is more complicated. I am one that feeds 27% protein to many breeds of ducks and to date have not had angel wing. I will start a thread on Angel wing and post all of the literature on it that I have found.

Hey, no worries. Like many, I used to think too much protein was the cause, but I have since learned that it is more complicated. I am one that feeds 27% protein to many breeds of ducks and to date have not had angel wing. I will start a thread on Angel wing and post all of the literature on it that I have found.

Yes, please do that! :) I remember reading contradictory evidence too, just can't remember where... Fascinating stuff!

Back
Top Bottom