Feeding turkeys in a mixed free range flock

Roccity

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2024
Hi, I'm new to the group and joined because I have turkeys for the first time this year. I do not know the breeds. One is a big white hen, she's 1 year old, and the other 2 are her babies but they are brown and look like wild turkeys. They are about 5 months old. They live happily with my chicken flock and fee range during the day. My question is, they are eating chicken layer feed when they want to and they have access to oyster shells too. Is there anything they will need that I am not supplying right now? I'm especially concerned as I think ahead to winter in western NY where they will not have access to grass and bugs for a long time and will depend on the chicken feed. Right now they are doing very well. The babies are big and strong and chase each other around a lot, so plenty of energy. Mom is the sweetest bird and also doing well, although it's taking time for her feathers to grow back in from being broody months ago, I assume. I just want to keep everyone healthy! Thanks!

Put everyone on an Flock Raiser, Chick Starter, or All Flock type feed? Oyster Shells on the side in a separate feeder for the ladies.

I have a 4ft trough I use for supplemental feeding for our free range turkeys. They get 20% Chick Starter feed 1-2 times a day.

Hi, I'm new to the group and joined because I have turkeys for the first time this year. I do not know the breeds. One is a big white hen, she's 1 year old, and the other 2 are her babies but they are brown and look like wild turkeys. They are about 5 months old. They live happily with my chicken flock and fee range during the day. My question is, they are eating chicken layer feed when they want to and they have access to oyster shells too. Is there anything they will need that I am not supplying right now? I'm especially concerned as I think ahead to winter in western NY where they will not have access to grass and bugs for a long time and will depend on the chicken feed. Right now they are doing very well. The babies are big and strong and chase each other around a lot, so plenty of energy. Mom is the sweetest bird and also doing well, although it's taking time for her feathers to grow back in from being broody months ago, I assume. I just want to keep everyone healthy! Thanks!
Layer feed has too much calcium in it for anything but hens that are laying. Males and youngsters may suffer kidney damage from the excess calcium.

The poults should have access to a high protein turkey or game bird starter. Chick starter does not have the levels of lysine, methionine and niacin they need for proper development.

I feed my mixed flock 20% protein all flock pellets with free choice oyster shell on the side.

That is a huge difference in favor of the Purina feed.
Dumor is also formulated for Gamebirds, & ducks though. Turkeys have been fine on it.
chrome_screenshot_Aug 18, 2024 1_41_14 PM EDT.png

Just wanted to show content, for feed chosing.

Dumor is also formulated for Gamebirds, & ducks though. Turkeys have been fine on it.
View attachment 3921956

Just wanted to show content, for feed choosing.
Poults need a much higher protein content, higher lysine content, higher methionine content and at least 50 ppm of niacin for their first 6 to 8 weeks of age.

They are not claiming that it is good enough for poults, game birds or keets.
1724007532828.png

I wouldn't feed it to the 6 week old poults that they claim it is good enough for.

Back
Top Bottom