(Female) chickens gawking non-stop

Galinhaaa

Hatching
Jan 8, 2023
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to keeping chickens. I got three hy-line, which are now about a year old. I keep them in a sufficiently large run (ca 50m2) on a 1000m2 section in a suburban setting. Sometimes I let the girls run in the wider section for a bit of variety. For about two weeks the girls started to gawk very noisily, complaining about something for 10minutes and then stopping again until an hour later they start again. I've read that this is apparently behaviour to indicate predators. However there are absolutely no predators around. No dogs, cats or (dangerous) wild animals. As soon as I get close, they mostly stop and keep following me around. They have enough food and water, plenty of access to grass, dust baths, sunny and shady areas. I just can't figure out what's wrong with them and as I live in an urban setting I'm afraid that my neighbours will take only so much of the very loud gawking. It's nothing like the normal chicken noises it's just like I would have a couple of roosters in the yard (which I wouldn't be allowed according to council by-laws). Any idea what could cause this behaviour? Thank you

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to keeping chickens. I got three hy-line, which are now about a year old. I keep them in a sufficiently large run (ca 50m2) on a 1000m2 section in a suburban setting. Sometimes I let the girls run in the wider section for a bit of variety. For about two weeks the girls started to gawk very noisily, complaining about something for 10minutes and then stopping again until an hour later they start again. I've read that this is apparently behaviour to indicate predators. However there are absolutely no predators around. No dogs, cats or (dangerous) wild animals. As soon as I get close, they mostly stop and keep following me around. They have enough food and water, plenty of access to grass, dust baths, sunny and shady areas. I just can't figure out what's wrong with them and as I live in an urban setting I'm afraid that my neighbours will take only so much of the very loud gawking. It's nothing like the normal chicken noises it's just like I would have a couple of roosters in the yard (which I wouldn't be allowed according to council by-laws). Any idea what could cause this behaviour? Thank you
This might be the so called "egg-song" when they call for the rooster to lead them back to the group after laying the egg.

Have you taken a look in the nest box when these calls occur?

You could make a video, upload it to YouT*ube or similar platform and provide a link for us to see exactly what you mean.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Thanks so much for you reply and the warm welcome🤗.
The "complaints" tend to start later in the day, after all the laying is long out of the way.
I did indeed take a video. Have a look here

Ha! That's what I thought. At this occasion I hadn't opened the gate tot he back as I was about to leave the house. The property beyond the wooden fence isn't fenced and I don't like to leave them there when I'm not there.
But often they hang in exact that same spot and complain even when the gate is open and they have access to the entire section. But looking at your comments this is probably something that just is as it is.
Thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom