Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I have not been able to read through this entire thread so sorry if this has been asked before but I just bought a few Cornish chicks at TS the other day and they won't touch the FF, any tips? I left it in there for a few hours and watched them but they just wouldn't eat it, kept pecking around for left over dry crumbs on the floor that I had in there before. I even tried top dressing the FF with dry crumbs and they just ate the dry and stopped. Any suggestions would be great!

Try not to leave it under the lamp because it forms a crust they can't really get anything out of. Put it out at the edges of where the lamp hits and keep the top stirred up. Don't offer anything else and just wait. Make sure it's actually fermented and not merely wet as it will just sit under that lamp and spoil, which is not good and probably doesn't taste good. Present smaller amounts and don't make it soupy...a nice, mealy texture is a lot like the dry feed and they might accept it more quickly.

I know it is old, but makes me laugh EVERY TIME

A RETIREE'S LAST TRIP to Food Lion

Yesterday I was at my local Food Lion buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Jake, the Wonder Dog and was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had an elephant?

So because I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time,
but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a Perfect Diet and that the way that it works is, to load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here
that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care, because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stopped to Pee on a Fire Hydrant and a car hit me.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Food Lion won't let me shop there anymore. Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the World to think of crazy things to say. Forward this (especially) to all your retired friends...it will be their laugh for the day!

Lol I had to share this with my fiancee and he enjoyed the hell out of it, reminds me of something he might do when he is having a bad day.

Quote: Wow never seen a chicken as yellow as the one in that video but really helpful tips on cutting it up. Sad thing is its cheaper to buy chicken parts than it is to buy a whole chicken where I live these days. I figure its because they are taking the pieces that they can make a higher margin on and selling them separately so they raise price of the whole bird to make it easier for them to sell the pieces they want.

So, I have a flock management question for you, Bee! I have recently discovered why my egg levels are so low... I have some egg eaters in my flock. It's a small flock and only one hen is totally disinterested in the eggs. However, two of them are intent on breaking open ALL the eggs and eating them. I already have ceramic salt shakers and I just tried an egg blown out and filled with mustard and cayenne. The two that have been breaking them open did just that even while I was right there "pecking" them REALLY hard and then all the hens but one ate all the egg and it's contents. So much for THAT.

If I cull all the culprits in the mustard egg incident, I cull all but one bird. It's gotten so bad that they're just hiding in the coop, ignoring their regular feed, and their BOSS and their scratch waiting for an egg. I am not sure how many are willing to break eggs open but two of them are very aggressive with it. I would hate to have to replace my whole flock... I do not live in an area where adult hens are easy for me to just walk down the street and get. Thoughts?

Wow, I've been reading through the first several pages of this thread and I am going to try fermenting my feed! I take ACV everyday and drink kombucha. We try to eat a lot of fermented foods, I never thought of doing something like this for my animals!

Thanks for all of the information!

Good for you! And keep on reading; you will find a wealth of information you'd not find elsewhere. And welcome to the thread. The people on here are really special in all the best possible ways. : )

Wow, I've been reading through the first several pages of this thread and I am going to try fermenting my feed!  I take ACV everyday and drink kombucha.  We try to eat a lot of fermented foods, I never thought of doing something like this for my animals! 

Thanks for all of the information!

Hi therarebreed. :) You will love the results you get with the FF. I was just noticing a day or two ago... I put a bucket of dry feed in my 5 gallon bucket and add the water. When it is done fermenting I get two of those same buckets back out. So not doubt the feed goes much further! Good luck to you!

So, I have a flock management question for you, Bee! I have recently discovered why my egg levels are so low... I have some egg eaters in my flock. It's a small flock and only one hen is totally disinterested in the eggs. However, two of them are intent on breaking open ALL the eggs and eating them. I already have ceramic salt shakers and I just tried an egg blown out and filled with mustard and cayenne. The two that have been breaking them open did just that even while I was right there "pecking" them REALLY hard and then all the hens but one ate all the egg and it's contents. So much for THAT.

If I cull all the culprits in the mustard egg incident, I cull all but one bird. It's gotten so bad that they're just hiding in the coop, ignoring their regular feed, and their BOSS and their scratch waiting for an egg. I am not sure how many are willing to break eggs open but two of them are very aggressive with it. I would hate to have to replace my whole flock... I do not live in an area where adult hens are easy for me to just walk down the street and get. Thoughts?
Maybe if you separate out the ones who break the eggs you might be able to break the others of it. It's worth a try if you have a way to separate them.

Back
Top Bottom