Finger biting gosling...ouch!

Goldenpheasantlover

Songster
13 Years
Apr 29, 2008
England
Our 1 week old Toulouse gosling keeps biting everyone's fingers. He chews on everything, and the finger biting wouldn't be a problem except it's starting to nip. He's the only goose we have (and our very first one) so I wanted to know if there was a method to stop finger biting. I'm prepared to use stinging nettles as that works with our other birds, but I'd prefer something a little less painful...for them and for me...
On another note, the gosling's finger biting habits have landed him with the name 'Charlie' :p

Don't hand feed the gosling. They should also have another of their kind to be with as they a social animal. They don't have hands so the mouth is how they explore. Hand feeding only encourages them to reach for your fingers. Place all food in a pan or bowl on the ground. Lots of outside time to graze during the day, being put in secure housing at night makes for a happy goose.

i love the name "Charlie"! my kids keep watching that youtube video over and over again, laughing hysterically. very fitting for your gosling.

He'll grow out of the finger biting. As CelticOaksFarm wrote, it's his way of exploring the world. Give him something else to explore - like sod or gosling-safe toys.

Back
Top Bottom