First chicken death: what predator deterrents should I invest in

booksandcranies

In the Brooder
Oct 27, 2023
I think a large prey bird got one of my girls. She was my eloper, she would wonder from the flock and just do whatever. While at work my spouse found her with her neck snapped. She didn’t have any other obvious wounds. I guess there was a puff of feathers around her as well. The day before I found a huge feather in my yard near the coop- and the next day my hen is dead. I can’t help but think that’s not a coincidence

Hawk? Falcon? Owl? I have no idea. The feather is large and mostly grey. But then again it might not even be the thing that killed her.

Their coop is like Fort Knox. It has 1/4 wire galvanized wire, a roof, and predator proof latches. And I made it pretty impossible to burrow from underneath and into their run.

My question is what other predator proof methods have you found successful in deterring birds of prey. I’m thinking it had to have been some sort of bird due to the broken neck but intact body.

My spouse is going to get some bird statues, and a few other things- but does anything have any other tips?

But I laid her to rest last night, she was my pet. She was just a little silky hen. I won’t lie, it’s a miracle I got her to 1 year old. I prevented her death so many times. When I say she’s an eloper I mean it

I'm sorry for your loss!

From what you've said, a bird of prey is a pretty good possibility. Chickens are pretty large prey items for many smaller birds of prey, so it may not have been able to eat your chicken after killing her, or was perhaps interrupted.

Do your birds free range or are they in a run? How big is the run? I haven't lost any adults to birds of prey because my chickens have a run in an area with lots of trees and shrubs which provide lots of cover and hiding places. A friend solves this problem by using bird netting, though every once and awhile she has to help a bird get out of the netting once it gets caught. Some friends who live on acreage outside of town can't let their chickens out of the small covered run into their larger open run because the hawks can easily hunt and catch chickens in what is essentially an open field.

I'm sorry for your loss!

From what you've said, a bird of prey is a pretty good possibility. Chickens are pretty large prey items for many smaller birds of prey, so it may not have been able to eat your chicken after killing her, or was perhaps interrupted.

Do your birds free range or are they in a run? How big is the run? I haven't lost any adults to birds of prey because my chickens have a run in an area with lots of trees and shrubs which provide lots of cover and hiding places. A friend solves this problem by using bird netting, though every once and awhile she has to help a bird get out of the netting once it gets caught. Some friends who live on acreage outside of town can't let their chickens out of the small covered run into their larger open run because the hawks can easily hunt and catch chickens in what is essentially an open field.
They do have a run with a roof! But it’s on the smaller side- I’m in the process of buying the materials for a larger run and it will also have a roof.

Since their run is on the smaller side We let them roam around when home. my wife got home and let them out like normal- She noticed they were hiding a bit more than normal but Eggsmerelda was just being her normal self (unaware) and wondering around.

I’ll defiantly invest in some netting though!!! But my wife kept saying the knew run doesn’t need a roof. At least I don’t have to argue with her anymore because this proves a roof is needed. I try to have eyes in them constantly but sometimes I can’t.

I have a theory that the bird attacked but the neighbors dogs started barking and scared the bird off before it could eat/Carry her away. I’m just happy it seemed to be instant, she was a sweet bird who deserves peace

Back
Top Bottom