First night of integration done

KyCoop

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
First night of integration done. With 1 unexpected result. We moved the babies, 2 Delaware and 2 Saphire gems 15 wks old into the coop last night after dark and put them on the roost next to one of the nicer hens. I didn't know what to expect as i have never done this before and we were out of time to keep trying to coax them in. The babies had been sleeping in the run at night.
This morning I went out a little before sunrise to see if everyone was ok. We have an auto door to the coop we left open (very secure run) in case they woke up this morning and all heck broke loose the babies would not be trapped in the Thunder dorm. Anyway, I look out in the run there were hens but no babies. I walk out to the coop and the babies are still on the roost. They were awake and standing looking around like how the heck did we get in here. But they would not get down. Then it dawned on me. They had never walked on pine shavings and were unsure of the floor! I tossed some of the shaving to show them it was not hot lava and they could walk on it. They jumped down and wandered down the ramp.
I wish I had known THATS what they had been afraid of. We will see what happens tonight.

Attachments

• 20220713_195958.jpg
    20220713_195958.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 14
That's funny, afraid of the bedding. You just never know with chickens. Sounds like it is working out for you.

When I integrate juveniles mine usually don't sleep on the main roosts with the adults. I really don't care where they sleep as long as it is predator proof and not in my nests. They'll work that out as they mature. But it is pretty common to find the juveniles up on the roost with the adults on the coop floor when I go down in the morning although the juvies slept somewhere else overnight. The juveniles are avoiding the adults until I let them out. That was my first thought when I started reading your post.

I don't know what will happen tonight, you may see some more interesting things. But it sounds like you are doing well. Looking forward to the nest chapter.

I'm not too sure they would have wandered into the coop on their own. I have a WLH that has been ugly to them from day one and the babies are terrified of her. Oh and the hot lava flooring. I'm anxious to see what happens tonight. The hens sometimes have night time roost battles and i dont want that to freak out the babies. Should I place them again tonight or let them figure it out from here?

If you are OK with them sleeping in the run you can wait. They may eventually go in on their own but that might not be until they are mature. I'm not sure how big your coop is or how it is arranged but it sounds like it is a walk-in which means it is probably not tiny.

The way I do this is to put the juveniles on the coop floor after dark so the older ones can't see to attack. They should be pretty easy to catch in the run after dark. I just put them on the coop floor, mine are unlikely to sleep on the roosts with the adults anyway. My goal is not to micromanage where they sleep inside the coop, just that they sleep inside the coop not in the nests and put themselves to bed in there on their own. You are right, the older ones can intimidate them which might hinder them going in in their own. But if your coop is big enough they can probably find a safe place to sleep. They may be the last ones to go in if a hen is being a bully. That is why they probably won't sleep on the roosts with the adults, they don't like being bullied.

Sometimes mine catch on pretty quickly that they should go in on their own. I've had some take three weeks before the last ones caught on. Each brood is different. Your coop and run are undoubtedly different from mine and your chickens will have their own personality. I don't know how yours will go.

Good luck! Seems you're off to a good start.

*update* We had to take a break from moving them at night during the week as my husband has to go to bed before dark. So we started again on
Thursday night. We moved all 4 babies to the coop. This time they managed to find their way out in the morning on their own. Friday night I managed to coax 2 of them in and up on the roost. The Leghorn of terror did chase one of them around and back out of the coop but the brave baby came back and quickly jumped up on the roost. I started singing to them which calmed the LH down (I sang to them when the were little). We moved the other 2 babies after dark.
Saturday night 2 babies went in on their own and 2 were coaxed in.
I think they will all go in tonight on their own.
The only issue I see now is the hen that shares that roost is broody at the moment and I wonder if she will be allowed on the roost once she is done. No chicks will be in the picture.

Re: singing to calm them down, yes, that helps mine too... And I have an Echo Dot (I do not recommend it unless you get it super cheap), which picks up the house WIFI, so I play them lullabies at night, sometimes I will play it when I want them to come in for the night.

Re: lighting, I have a string of old Christmas lights in the coop as a nightlight. When they are too agitated or agressive in the evening (fighting over who sleeps where) I turn off my work light (regular bulb) and leave on just the Christmas lights, it is enough for me to see what I am doing while I finish cleaning and putting everything up for the night but not enough light for them to see well so they just find a place nearby and go to sleep. (it shuts down the chasing each other and squabbles) They see enough with that night light to find the food bowl and water dish, but not enough to fight.

Let me tell you how smart my babies are. The past 2 nights they have gone to bed on their own a full 20-30 mins before the big girls.
The leghorn of terror does not get the chance to stand in the door and yell "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" and peck them. Much to her dismay.
(Clucking of tongue)
Yes, your babies are geniuses! They figured that out?! Wonderful 😊 babies you have!

This is the kind of brain power that their (delicious and mostly helpless) ancestors depended on to survive in the cruel world before hardware cloth and chicken-ladies&gents evolved to protect them.

I will be smiling crooked at my little Leghorns thinking of how their like was outwitted by the plucky babies.

Congratulations proud-momma, you are doing everything right to have such smart chicks.

Back
Top Bottom