First time raising chicks, outdoor brooder temps?

kunsangsean

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hey all,

I got 7 day old chicks for my broody hen to adopt, but adopt them she did not. So I'm raising my first batch of chicks! I had a Brinsea ecoglow brooder plate just in case, and I setup a brooder inside with them under that. They've been doing well, and no light on at night. They are 2 weeks old now, and the dust and smell is getting a bit much, but more than that they seem like they want way more space to play in. I setup their own area outside in the run, separate from our other chickens. I put up solid walls on 2 sides, and put the ecoglow inside a large rubbermaid set upside down with one side removed - to create an area with more draft protection. I also had a cozy products radiant heat panel, so I put that in there to provide some additional heat. It's been in the 50s at night, but it's starting to get down into the 40s, and I know the ecoglow says it's not rated for that.

They've seemed ok for 2 nights, huddled under the ecoglow at night and running around in the day. Tonight is in the 40s and I was a bit concerned about it being too cold. I setup a red light heat lamp, attached securely, and the floor is sand/gravel so there's little that's flammable. Now they are not under the ecoglow, rather they are out under the heat lamp (not in the protected box area) and also running around at night eating and drinking. I do think it's warmer and maybe they needed that. They nighttime activity makes me wonder if the red light is disturbing them since they've been used to dark at night. And I'm concerned that maybe they won't settle down and sleep.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! - Sean

Do you have any alternative bulbs that emit heat, but not light, i.e. a ceramic bulb?
I do think it's warmer and maybe they needed that. They nighttime activity makes me wonder if the red light is disturbing them since they've been used to dark at night.
The chicks themselves don't need the ambient temperature to be warmer (I routinely brood outside in the 40s), but the heat plate may need it.

Yes they're up and eating because the light is keeping them active. It shouldn't cause any issues but if you continue to use the red bulb then they'll continue to need food and water at night.

Back
Top Bottom