Five week old chicks not going into coop at night

I read a post about installing a timed light in the coop before they left the brooder as mentioned above. I believe that is why they transitioned so easily to the big coop. The light I purchased also has a dimmer feature so the light gently fades out opposed just shutting off leaving them in darkness.

Hi,

I’m not certain if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have 13 chicks, all five weeks old. All of them appear to like sleeping outside right next to the fence very close together. They’re not going into the coop at night. I set up my trail camera, and there’s no sign of them going inside the coop at night.

This has me worried, because where they are sleeping a raccoon could easily put its arm in and snag one.

I’ve had to pick them up and put them into the coop at night to make sure they stay safe. My run is predator proof, but I’m not taking any chances.

Is there anyway to help the chicks realize they need to sleep in the coop? I’m getting a little tired of picking them up and putting them in the coop every night for the past three nights.

Picture:

View attachment 3859744

Regards,

Jared
If they are with older chicken they might be picked on when they go into the roost.
I usually look new poultry into the house they’re to home to for at least 4 days. I only keep similar age groups together.

Hi,

I’m not certain if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.

I have 13 chicks, all five weeks old. All of them appear to like sleeping outside right next to the fence very close together. They’re not going into the coop at night. I set up my trail camera, and there’s no sign of them going inside the coop at night.

This has me worried, because where they are sleeping a raccoon could easily put its arm in and snag one.

I’ve had to pick them up and put them into the coop at night to make sure they stay safe. My run is predator proof, but I’m not taking any chances.

Is there anyway to help the chicks realize they need to sleep in the coop? I’m getting a little tired of picking them up and putting them in the coop every night for the past three nights.

Picture:

View attachment 3859744

Regards,

Jared
Is that the northeast corner? That’s where my 6 week olds when I first moved them outside. They eventually moved into the coop. All 13 in an old tractor supply coop 4 yrs old.

Back
Top Bottom