FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

brown millet this time of the year, grows very well ALL summer here

Will millet keep coming back all year long even if the tips/tops are eaten off?  Is it much like grass?

I bought a 20 lb bag of mixed birdseed for the chickens at lowe's: the one with millet, milo (a wheat), and sunflower seed. Whatever the chickens do not eat sprouts when it gets wet so I have patches of green forage wherever I put it down as scratch. The chickens nibbled on it until it started getting thick leaved. Now I go and cut some into small bits with scissors for them. I also hope some will last the summer and go to seed. It is doing fine in both full and partial shade.

Did some research on google scholar on morus alba, white mulberry.

Rabbits fed 100% leaf diet maintained and gained weight, and it is a suitable food for swine, ruminants, cattle, and chickens when it provides about 1/4 of their feed.

It is an excellent food for humans, comparable in nutrition to spinach, amaranth, and other leafy foods. http://arccjournals.com/pdf/Digest/asd-29-3/asd-29-3-010.pdf it is eaten in india in various recipes.

In humans, a study found that a leaf based tea affects adsorption of sugars and is good for type 2 diabeties and itlowered LDL and raised HDL.

Another study looked at drying the leaf and nutrient content: it lost virtually none when dried at less than 140 F.

I will go eat a leaf and report to you my opinion on flavor and if I suffer an ill effect!

Ok, it only has young leaves at this time, and tastes like a very flavorful lettuce, very fresh.

Oh...another study also reported that chewing the leaf releases a chemical that inhibits growth of the main bacteria that causes hairy filmed teeth and cavities...

I am not throwing up yet! :lol:

Last edited:
Today is day 18!
Tonight we'll be raising humidity to 60 and going into lock-down.

Woot!!!
wee.gif
I put my next batch on lockdown yesterday ...

Will these two windows be enough ventilation in my coop? The coop will be in a mostly shaded and sheltered overhang. I could add another window on the front if needed. It measures 3'x3'x4' at the peak and the windows are almost 1sq foot.

Hi! I'm in Volusia County and am looking to start out with 4-6 hens. We're looking for good layers with sweet dispositions. We'd love to have free-rangers who come into roost at night, so homebodies are preferred. What breeds should I be looking into? Thanks!
lostinthemusic

Back
Top Bottom