FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Just reading your post thought I would let you both know that the swap is this Sunday at Bent Creek feed store incase you did not know. There will be plenty of chicks/chickens for sale. Real nice people out there. It is on 103rd street.

I thought my chickens were afraid of the crows. They ran for cover every time they heard one. The crows really raise a ruckus around here. I see very large hawks and owls often. I have all my chickens out all day. I am waiting for disaster but I just don't want to lock them up. I have a dog and now I also know I have the crows.
I have a dog. But I would not trust him - he is a hound dog mix and very "playful" . . . if it runs, he gives chase. He weighs a little over 100 pounds and will use his paws in a playful manner with the cats but he pretty much squishes them. Now if I still had my Rhode Island Red Rooster, Leonardo, he would train Luke to not bother the chickens, but my hot wire was unplugged two years ago will not name names and something dug in under the wire and got my buddy. : ( Tears, tears and more tears. How I loved that Rooster! Anyway, the chickens are staying in, I will build a new tractor for them, and the crows can do their job and try to keep the hawks (and one Bald Eagle!) away. Today I had a vulture in my front swamp area with a broken wing, I called Bush Wildlife and they will send someone if I can find the vulture again. I had to go to work and lost track of it. I feel very badly about that. I saved a crow a few weeks ago, it had been eating cat food for the wild cats at my office building and one of the cats jumped on her. I got her to the vet and with antibiotics and fluids on board, off she went to Bush Wildlife and hopefully was rehabilitated and released. I also have an African Grey Parrot. I just love birds; and cats; and dogs; and horses and pretty much any animal there is even the raccoons and foxes and opossums, in their proper place. I had baby opossums in my barn at one point, Mom must have left them for a reason, she did come back and get them. I also had twin raccoon babies, no idea where Mom went, but they "wintered" over with me a few years back. It was a COLD winter. I have a picture of my Rooster sharing a bowl of cat food with a young raccoon. They got together every day. They did not know they were "mortal" enemies.

Yes Sharlene, I just got home with 4 chicks an hour ago! I am so excited! When I get on my computer tomorrow, I will message you my info so we can stay in touch..I live off CR220..Always good to have a neighbor to help each other! Thanks for the post!

Would have loved to know about Bent Creek before driving to Hilliard this afternoon..Will tell my friends who are wanting to start their own flock. Thanks AuntNomi!W
Welcome! I go there each month, it is awesome! Ill be going Sunday as well. I want to get a few more Blue and splash Orpingtons. They are beautiful. Jack Boyd sells them. Will also be looking for some Easter eggers. Where did you get chicks in Hilliard? I am from Callahan and work in Hilliard sometimes. What kind of chicks do they have?

Also in Ocala they are having a swap tomorrow
at the tractr supply 3pm
Which TSC? North Ocala or South Ocala?

Central Florida Poultry Breeders Association Show, Inverness, FL.
2015 Citrus Classic
Fall Show: Saturday October 24th 2015
9:00 AM TO 4:00 PM
Citrus County Fairgrounds
3600 South Florida Ave.
Inverness, Florida
---> MAP
(U.S. Highway 41 South - 1.5 miles south of the intersection of U.S. highways 44 & 41)
There will be a lot of birds For Sale there too.

Back
Top Bottom