Florida open air coop?

Did you look at the link I posted of my build? That's not a floor in the roost box. Its a poop board. And I use a short kiddie garden rake to rake the poop in a bucket every fourth day. You cover your board with cheap vinyl flooring and put a little sand and PZD stable stall freshener on top. Dries it up and no smell.
I have a dirt floor and use pine shavings. If you have at lest 12" of roof over hang and a wind block on one wall so the blowing rain is stopped , you will have a dry floor if your drainage in outside yard is good.

Did you look at the link I posted of my build? That's not a floor in the roost box. Its a poop board. And I use a short kiddie garden rake to rake the poop in a bucket every fourth day. You cover your board with cheap vinyl flooring and put a little sand and PZD stable stall freshener on top. Dries it up and no smell.
I have a dirt floor and use pine shavings. If you have at lest 12" of roof over hang and a wind block on one wall so the blowing rain is stopped , you will have a dry floor if your drainage in outside yard is good.

I did but I had missed where you updated more! I went back and looked at the whole thing. It looks great!! Thank you for your help

Hey,
Fellow Floridian here. I've had my flock since March and have a similar open air set up with ¼" hardware cloth & a tin roof. I also have a little solid plywood alcove for the nesting boxes. They seem to like it a lot.
I'll put up tarps to block drafts if there are hard freezes in the winter, but I'm more concerned with keeping them cool.
I also have a shade cloth over their run and lots of waterers & a box fan.
The only problem I see with putting your coop directly under trees is if there are big branches that could fall down during a storm & damage the coop?

Hey,
Fellow Floridian here. I've had my flock since March and have a similar open air set up with ¼" hardware cloth & a tin roof. I also have a little solid plywood alcove for the nesting boxes. They seem to like it a lot.
I'll put up tarps to block drafts if there are hard freezes in the winter, but I'm more concerned with keeping them cool.
I also have a shade cloth over their run and lots of waterers & a box fan.
The only problem I see with putting your coop directly under trees is if there are big branches that could fall down during a storm & damage the coop?

The trees are kind of skimpy but I will examine them more before I decide. Thank you! I’ve been trying to remember to take pictures at different times of day to see where the best shade is but I’ve only gotten two so far . I was thinking between those two trees where the little fire pit is but it may end up closer to my house because the shade seems better.

E9C7CF74-9AD5-4BAF-99A0-DF8F3CF520B3.jpeg
D0282B97-9EF6-409C-B468-80E8C068FCC5.jpeg

Are those turkey oaks? Do they get pretty red leaves in the winter? I was imagining giant old live oaks with huge branches crashing down during a hurricane?! Your trees shouldn't be a problem.
Also try to place your coop far enough away from trees so you can mow all around the perimeter to keep weeds down and to see if predators are trying to dig in.

Are those turkey oaks? Do they get pretty red leaves in the winter? I was imagining giant old live oaks with huge branches crashing down during a hurricane?! Your trees shouldn't be a problem.
Also try to place your coop far enough away from trees so you can mow all around the perimeter to keep weeds down and to see if predators are trying to dig in.

Honestly I’m not sure what they are but the leaves just turn brown then fall off.

Back
Top Bottom