Foot turned in

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
I have a Pekín duck who is about 4-5 years old. She injured her foot yesterday and it is turned in to where she’s having trouble walking. I have her confined today. Should I turn her foot and splint it? Or leave it and see if it gets better? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5611.jpeg
    IMG_5611.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5612.jpeg
    IMG_5612.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
    679.3 KB · Views: 11
Is there any open wound? What's her diet?
I don’t see any obvious wounds, but i didn’t look under her foot. She does not let us get close to her to pick her up or even pet her. We got her when she was 2-3 years old. I don’t ever try to chase her to get her.
Her diet is dumor all flock pellets and she is free range so whatever bugs she finds in the yard.

Since you have her confined you need to pick her up and look at her foot and leg to make sure she doesn't have bumble foot which is an infection. Mine don't like to be picked up either but sometimes you just have to.

Since you have her confined you need to pick her up and look at her foot and leg to make sure she doesn't have bumble foot which is an infection. Mine don't like to be picked up either but sometimes you just have to.
I can do that, but would bumble foot cause her foot to turn in? This seems more like a bone/ligament/joint issue. I’m not trying to question you, just asking an honest question- I know typed responses don’t always convey the same tone as intended. 😊

Not sure, but it's always good to rule out bumble when one is having trouble walking then go from there, she could have stepped into a hole or when getting in or out of the pool she could have injured her leg or foot. But picking her up and examining it can tell you alot is there bumble or is there swelling or redness and or heat? We have to start somewhere.
Questioning is always good.
Post back after examine and we'll see if we can figure out what would be best for her.

Last edited:
Do you have any thoughts on what she could have hurt her foot on?
Is she acting normal other than the foot?
When you feel her foot/leg, try to feel her joints and see if there is anything dislocated. Feel the bad leg and compare it to the good one.

I don’t see any obvious wounds, but i didn’t look under her foot. She does not let us get close to her to pick her up or even pet her. We got her when she was 2-3 years old. I don’t ever try to chase her to get her.
Her diet is dumor all flock pellets and she is free range so whatever bugs she finds in the yard.
Does she get niacin supplements?

Not sure, but it's always good to rule out bumble when one is having trouble walking then go from there, she could have stepped into a hole or when getting in or out of the pool she could have injured her leg or foot. But picking her up and examining it can tell you alot is there bumble or is there swelling or redness and or heat? We have to start somewhere.
Questioning is always good.
Post back after examine and we'll see if we can figure out what would be best for her.
I got her in the tub and let her swim and then was able to look at her feet. Both look bad! 😫 Does this look like bumble foot? Her left foot is the one that is injured and the joint looks more swollen.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom