Fox ate 2 chickens!

Pics

Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
I am so angry! We tried to make a safe place for the birds. We do free range. We have a dog. We have super safe coop and Run.
This morning a fox got 2 hens!
The friendliest one - Piper! And Big Red.
All I found were feathers! Feathers everywhere! It was 10 am. And there was a fox about a 100 yards away running back and forth hoping to get another hen!
I shooed the hens back into the coop and run.
Now I am thinking free ranging is out.
I only have 4 chickens now. Our neighbor traps- maybe I will ask him to set some. I don’t really like killing animals- but sometimes- I am okay with it.
mice- traps no problem. Fox that ripped my hens to shreds and left feathers everywhere- yep I am okay with shooting it. Live trap and move it -mmm I would do that too.

kinda bummed today- it’s been a tough week.

Red fox or grey fox? Both are threats but a red fox is the most notorious chicken thief of them all.
Did he get them in daylight or did you find them in the morning after they were attacked at night? It sounds like they were free ranging at the time of the attack? Or was there a security breach?

Free ranging comes with inherent risk. I free range from dawn til dusk every day with only one bird (10lb rooster taken in the middle of the day) in 3 yrs. This occurred before we got our dog, whom I give credit for preventing subsequent daylight attacks (although not a trained watch dog).

We have a ton of predators big and small and have been very fortunate. However, your fox problem will not go away until it does. Even if your neighbor traps it, another will likely take its place.

Assuming you have a fort knox coop and run for night time security and that the daytime free ranging is the only vulnerable time, walk your dog around the yard to scent mark often. Only let the chickens out when you or your dog is out with them. Daytime attacks are considered risky business by most predators and are avoided unless the temptations are just too great or their is no perceived threat. By creating more human activity, and the illusion of a threat (scent of the dog) most predators will avoid daytime attacks and try at night when the birds are safe and secure in tbeir coop.

It was a red fox. About a 100 yards away- I saw the fox pace back and forth looking for another opportunity.
Both hens were taken after 8 am to 10 am when we found them.
The coop and run is completely safe.
I read that foxes are bolder during the time they have pups? I will keep the birds locked in for awhile. I worked so hard at raising them- not even a year old.
I like them to free range - bug control! Eggs are a bonus. I probably will keep an eye one them.

So sorry for your losses. Yes, keep your birds in for a couple of weeks, and then vary the time that they go out, maybe much later in the day. Your dog, if fenced and chicken safe, should help too (it's a big dog, right?).
Electric fencing, properly set up, makes all the difference!
If you do trap, then relocating is illegal, so be prepared to shoot! Otherwise, don't bother to trap.
Mary

So sorry for your losses. Yes, keep your birds in.
Electric fencing, properly set up, makes all the difference!
If you do trap, then relocating is illegal, so be prepared to shoot! Otherwise, don't bother to trap.
Mary
Thanks Mary, I will do that. My dog is medium size but good with chickens. She has a sore leg though.
We got lots of hunters and trappers here.
I would never want to kill any animal especially a fox. But a fox with a desire to wipe out my poultry just signed it’s death certificate. Talking to the neighbors about it.

I was warned once they find your chickens they will keep coming back.
It is a shame. We been fortunate to have our chickens for 10 months without incident. I never realized Spring could be so tough. 3 gone in a short time.
Would a rooster been able to protect them? Or alert?
I don’t have any roosters.
The coop is sturdy and the run. Nothing but a bear can get through that

Back
Top Bottom