Freak out with me ... chicks being delivered on Day 4!

I've ordered many times via USPS and never had an issue. I like Cackle always had good luck with them. I would call the post office tell them they were coming then call the day they were supposed to be there. USPS tracking is a joke so don't rely on it.

I've ordered many times via USPS and never had an issue. I like Cackle always had good luck with them. I would call the post office tell them they were coming then call the day they were supposed to be there. USPS tracking is a joke so don't rely on it.
Yes I ordered from Meyer in Ohio got them the next day even so the delivery said the 17!!! I almost had a heart attack when I saw that!! If it's like Ohio to California they fly them. I had 15 so I didn't have heat. I lost one in the first few hours sadly but the rest seem very Well so far. I always use Meyer and it's a exciting experience for sure!

Long time chicken mama but first time ordering chicks through the mail and having a freak attack. Just need some nice words to tell me everything will be ok (hopefully) I usually get my chicks locally but this year decided to get some breeds that are not usually found around me.
I ordered 12 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. (Told my husband I got 6 LOL) They were born today (2.20.2024) and when I got the updated email with tracking, the email said USPS Priority with estimated delivery on Saturday!!! (trying not to worry) They are coming from Ohio to Los Angeles, Ca.... so I am assuming it will take 3 days but 4?? I thought they can go without food and water up to 3 days.
So should I call Meyer Hatchery and be like ??? shouldn't I get them by Friday ----> or is this not necessary
Also, I have electrolytes ready but is there anything else I can give them?

Thanks for making it through my freak out and rant ...any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Long time chicken mama but first time ordering chicks through the mail and having a freak attack. Just need some nice words to tell me everything will be ok (hopefully) I usually get my chicks locally but this year decided to get some breeds that are not usually found around me.
I ordered 12 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. (Told my husband I got 6 LOL) They were born today (2.20.2024) and when I got the updated email with tracking, the email said USPS Priority with estimated delivery on Saturday!!! (trying not to worry) They are coming from Ohio to Los Angeles, Ca.... so I am assuming it will take 3 days but 4?? I thought they can go without food and water up to 3 days.
So should I call Meyer Hatchery and be like ??? shouldn't I get them by Friday ----> or is this not necessary

Thanks for making it through my freak out and rant ...any advice will be greatly appreciated.
We are in the same situation at this exact moment. Ordered from MPC, shipped yesterday, arrival has changed twice and the chicks have been sitting in Cleveland, OH for over 30 hrs. I live in Sonoma, CA for location context. I do not think I’ll ever mail order again. This thread is what brought me to BYC

We are in the same situation at this exact moment. Ordered from MPC, shipped yesterday, arrival has changed twice and the chicks have been sitting in Cleveland, OH for over 30 hrs. I live in Sonoma, CA for location context. I do not think I’ll ever mail order again. This thread is what brought me to BYC
Welcome to BYC, sorry you're having trouble getting your chicks. Keep us posted.

Hi! We have ordered chicks from MurrayMcMurray several times over the past 8 years and never had anything but a good experience. We have heard very good things about Meyer as well. We are in New Hampshire and they never took 4 days, and I seriously doubt yours will. I think tracking always says stuff like that! Really, please try not to worry. Also, the chicks have a little container of gel-like food/water glued to the box and sometimes cucumber slices in there. I think they will come by Friday and be fine. Just an FYI, in recent years we got some neat varieties of chicks in the mail from https://www.chickensforbackyards.com/ They are wonderful and we highly recommend!

Last edited:
When we ordered chicks from the hatchery, I had to go to the post office to pick them up. They won't deliver them to the mailbox. I had called and gave them a heads up that they were coming, and they called right away. We're retired so I could zoom over right quick! We're still 8 for 8 on those babies, and all pullets too!
Agree. We never rely on even our small local PO to call us. When we expected our chicks we called PO a day or two before and told them they were coming. We stressed to them to call us early in the AM as soon as they arrived and that we would come right over and get them. This is what we have ALWAYS done. We have thankfully never had a chick die.

Sad to report we are left with 5. The two original that did not look good ended up passing on the first day. The other 3 passed the next day but we started noticing they were looking lethargic that first night. I tried to nurse them but by the next morning they were gone. :hit
With all my years having baby chicks, this is the first time there has been this many deaths. 7 out of 12!! I am not sure if it was due to shipping stress or something else but I am devasted.

edit - actually i have had baby chicks every year the last 8 years and all together lost 2. makes me never want to order chicks through the mail again.
So sorry...7 out of 12 is a LOT. Instead of a refunds for the birds alone, if I were you I would call them and ask if they would please ship out replacement birds at their expense. Shipping costs so much and that is a huge number to have died. I think a truly reputable company would and should ship you 7 new birds at their expense. I would at least try.

Back
Top Bottom