French Black Copper Marans first eggs

Cari0816

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2024
North Carolina
I’m new to owning chickens and yesterday my FBCM laid its first egg and today it laid another. Both eggs are small but todays is a lot darker. Will they continue to get bigger and darker?

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpeg
    IMG_2515.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 33
Where'd you get the pullet from? Unless you got it from a breeder that specializes in egg color, the eggs of a FBCM can vary from a lighter brown all the way to deep chocolate.

The 2nd egg in your photo is decently dark if this is a feed store bird.

I’m new to owning chickens and yesterday my FBCM laid its first egg and today it laid another. Both eggs are small but todays is a lot darker. Will they continue to get bigger and darker?
I have BBS Marans. They lay similar to your egg shade-about a 6 on the official Marans egg color chart. BCM are said to lay the darkest, BUT they are all the rage and so you have to consider the reputation of the breeder from the perspective of market demand driving a willingness to sell lesser quality birds for profitability versus breed perfection and/ or preservation.
If all you want is decently dark egg, I’d say you’re right on the money.
Pics show Marans egg color chart; from my flock- darker egg from Blue Copper Marans, brown from Light Brahma for ref.
My Blue Coppers lay a 6-7 on the scale with variable bloom at times, esp new layers.

Attachments

• IMG_5895.png
    IMG_5895.png
    782 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5810.jpeg
    IMG_5810.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 7
Those are pretty eggs! The chickens are a new hobby for me. I would like to have a variety different bright colored egg layers. I liked the fact that the farm that I purchased two pullets, a cream leg bar, that hasn’t started laying yet, and my French black copper Marans both 5 month olds when I got them so I didnt have to wait as long for them to start laying. I’m impatient lol. I’m appreciative that I came across this website everyone has been super helpful as I try to learn. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom