fuzzi's Chicken Journal

I wanted to put the soiled litter in my Gorilla cart, but was concerned it would be too heavy.

I don't know what size Gorilla cart you have, but the 7 cubic foot one sold here has a capacity of 1,200 pounds. No way you could load that much soiled litter in a Gorilla cart. The litter is just not that heavy.

1722020829905.png

I didn't want to damage my door sill so I moved the litter from the wheelbarrow using a small garden cart.

To protect the door sill, you could build a short ramp up and over the sill and back down the other side. Just some scrap lumber would do the job. Of course, that depends on your door sill setup.

Here's a picture of that type of ramp designed for a wheelchair, which also protects the original door sill...

1722021134758.png

I had to build a pallet wood ramp to get up and into my chicken run. I have about 12 inches of compost litter at my main gate, and I needed a ramp to get my cart into the chicken run. I'm just not back strong enough anymore to muscle a loaded cart up that high...

1722021408802.jpeg

I filled it about 2/3 so I could lift it over the sill and dump it in the bigger cart.

Have you considered something like muck buckets?

1722021589245.png

That's what I use when I clean out my chicken coop. Then I carry them to my chicken run and dump them.

⚠️ I bought some cheap muck buckets at WalMart and they cannot hold very much weight. If I load up those WalMart muck buckets to the top with soiled litter, the plastic breaks around the rope handles. Now I only fill them half way and they don't break. I would certainly not recommend getting cheap muck buckets. They just can't handle the work.

Another option to consider might be to use the standard 5-gallon buckets...

1722021987749.png

I fill my 5-gallon buckets with 25 pounds of chicken feed and have never broken a handle or the plastic on them. They are much stronger than the cheap WalMart muck buckets I bought. There is no way soiled litter would be heavy enough to break my 5-gallon buckets. They only problem is that they cannot hold as much volume as a muck bucket in one load. So you would have more trips to get the same work done. That may or may not be a good thing for you.

:old At my age, I most often prefer to take more trips with a lighter load which protects my back from excess strain. So, a half muck bucket full of soiled litter, or a full 5-gallon bucket of soiled litter, is about my limit these days.

:yesss: I am an Inside Track Member at Harbor Freight and get my 5-gallon buckets for free on their bucket sale weekends which they have about every 2-3 months. I think you saw the posting I made on their most recent bucket sale weekend on the Frugal Tips thread...

1722022605402.png

That sale is over, but they will probably have another bucket weekend special in 2-3 months. I like free buckets.

I have to add here that I found a use for a shovel I'd bought at Habitat for Humanity thrift store a couple years ago. It was perfect for getting the dregs of soiled litter out of the wheelbarrow. And it was only $2!

:lau Dear Wife just cannot understand why I have so many different kinds and style of shovel and forks. To her, a shovel is a shovel. But I am the one using the tool and I often switch from one size/type of shovel to another depending on the job at hand. It does make a big difference sometimes. Same thing with my forks. I have at least 3 different sizes and styles of forks and use them all for different, but similar, jobs.

That's looks like a perfect shovel for a small, tight, job. Great find for only $2.00!

:caf And thanks for the shout out. I always enjoy reading this thread, but unless something notifies me of a new post here on the BYC forum, I don't know if anything has been updated.

I don't know what size Gorilla cart you have, but the 7 cubic foot one sold here has a capacity of 1,200 pounds. No way you could load that much soiled litter in a Gorilla cart. The litter is just not that heavy.

View attachment 3902016

To protect the door sill, you could build a short ramp up and over the sill and back down the other side. Just some scrap lumber would do the job. Of course, that depends on your door sill setup.
I had to build a pallet wood ramp to get up and into my chicken run. I have about 12 inches of compost litter at my main gate, and I needed a ramp to get my cart into the chicken run. I'm just not back strong enough anymore to muscle a loaded cart up that high...

View attachment 3902028
I was concerned that the load would be too heavy for the door sill . I'd need a ramp like the wooden one in your picture, but since I don't need to do this type of cleaning frequently I am good with using the little garden cart. I just can't lift as much as I used to.

That's looks like a perfect shovel for a small, tight, job. Great find for only $2.00!
I'm tickled about the shovel. I love finding things that make my chores easier. The Gorilla cart has been so helpful, thanks for mentioning it in your thread.

Brought tomatoes, got some photos of the kids:
IMG_20240726_162134277~2.jpg

Priscilla, aka Prissy. She's the boldest pullet.

IMG_20240726_161932154~2.jpg

Esther. Unfortunately she has yellow shanks, so I will avoid using her for breeding.

IMG_20240726_162204846~2.jpg

Joanna, the shy one. The others are taking tomato bits from my hand, not Joanna...yet.

IMG_20240726_162127216~2.jpg

Silas, back up roo candidate. His plumage is a little orangy, hope it darkens as he molts.

IMG_20240726_162420562~2.jpg
Zaccheaus, aka Zacky. He's taking tomato bits from my hands more gently.

I was concerned that the load would be too heavy for the door sill . I'd need a ramp like the wooden one in your picture, but since I don't need to do this type of cleaning frequently I am good with using the little garden cart. I just can't lift as much as I used to.

That makes more sense. I thought you were afraid that the load would too heavy for the Gorilla cart.

No doubt I can fill up my Gorilla cart with a load too heavy for me to pull. But my Gorilla cart has a convertible handle so I can tow the heavy loads behind my riding mower. I really love my Gorilla carts. I have a 7 cubic foot "normal sized" cart and a larger 10 cubic foot cart.

:old No way I can lift the heavier loads that I had no problem with 40 years ago. That's why I really make good use out of the Gorilla carts with 4 wheels. Much safer to use for those heavy loads. My 50-year-old one-wheeled wheelbarrow served me well for many years, but it does not get used much anymore.

Brought tomatoes, got some photos of the kids:
View attachment 3902170
Priscilla, aka Prissy. She's the boldest pullet.

View attachment 3902171
Esther. Unfortunately she has yellow shanks, so I will avoid using her for breeding.

View attachment 3902173
Joanna, the shy one. The others are taking tomato bits from my hand, not Joanna...yet.

View attachment 3902174
Silas, back up roo candidate. His plumage is a little orangy, hope it darkens as he molts.

View attachment 3902178Zaccheaus, aka Zacky. He's taking tomato bits from my hands more gently.
It’s too bad you can’t use Esther, she’s so lovely with all that speckling!

It’s too bad you can’t use Esther, she’s so lovely with all that speckling!
The speckling will change when she grows her adult plumage.

Martha

Three weeks
IMG_20230318_151956679~2.jpg

At 9 weeks
IMG_20230502_180020933_HDR.jpg

At five months
IMG_20230803_181541540~2.jpg

At 13 months
IMG_20240319_170556516~2.jpg

Today (17 months)
IMG_20240727_172430773~2.jpg

They are supposed to get more speckled with each molt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom