fuzzi's May (First Time With Shipped Eggs) Hatch-a-Long Thread, all are Welcome!

The Skywalkers
PXL_20240511_160953169.jpg

Now, assuming some eggs hatch, do I put the chicks under a broody that night, or go set up my outside brooder somewhere? I still have my MHP but no room in the hoop coop, no room inside the house.

Now, assuming some eggs hatch, do I put the chicks under a broody that night, or go set up my outside brooder somewhere? I still have my MHP but no room in the hoop coop, no room inside the house.
If chicks hatch in the incubator they need to stay in the incubator at least until they dry off. They can stay a bit longer. I let at least several chicks hatch before I remove any. If chicks are actively hatching I don't like to open the incubator.
This is me. Others may do it differently.

All this to say you will have a bit of time to move them. I would however have a back up plan in case mama rejects any or all.

If chicks hatch in the incubator they need to stay in the incubator at least until they dry off. They can stay a bit longer. I let at least several chicks hatch before I remove any. If chicks are actively hatching I don't like to open the incubator.
This is me. Others may do it differently.

All this to say you will have a bit of time to move them. I would however have a back up plan in case mama rejects any or all.
Thanks. Today is Day 10, I have time.

Rahab was in the nesting box all day, maybe she's getting serious?

Tamar has been covering the eggs better.

You can add incubator chicks under a broody. I would also recommend waiting until they are dried off, but not much longer - you don't want her to get up off the nest and wander off without them. They will happily make themselves at home, and will not interfere if she has chicks hatching.

Back
Top Bottom