gangrene / amputation? (Photos)

Oh wow…super helpful!!! THANK YOU ❤️

At night I have been bringing in some of her siblings to sleep with and they seem to quiet her down. And I take her out to “visit” when I feed the other chickens. I’m hoping she isn’t forgotten over time and remains solid in her flock of siblings without being picked on later.

She spends most of her time alone indoors. So hopefully it helps to stay connected to her flock…who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️

Update: This morning I took her out and she flew off then grabbed my finger and perched! By the time my husband brought my camera, she was struggling to get back on, but she’s working on steadying herself in this series of pics…she starts off with her peg leg dangling and then eventually brings it up. I’m so pleased with this because it means she might be able to behave more and more like her flock. (She definitely flies!) 😊

This morning I put a drop of the liquid oral antibiotics on my finger and as it sat in a teeny round puddle on my finger she just drank/licked/ate it all up….so hopefully 🙏🏼 LORD WILLING it is that easy from here on out 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 18
Soooo update on the vet

Apparently this was his first bird amputation and so there was a degree of uncertainty in how what where etc….he's been a vet for at least 50 years and works on birds and chickens as well as rats, dogs, cats, pigs, hamsters, etc…(he’s a country vet, and works on what is brought to him)

Anyhow when I called to get directions like when to change the bandage, should I soak it in epsom salt, etc??? He wasn’t sure, but advised leaving the bandage on for a week, only change it if there is a bleed thru issue (which there hasn’t been so far thank heavens) He gave me some liquid medicine that stops bleeding should that happen when I change the bandage. And he gave me oral antibiotics (clavamox) but I am still sort of winging it here to some degree, so I really value your thoughts and opinions on healing care.

so please keep it coming…and feel free to speak up if you have a thought or suggestion not mentioned yet.

If someone noticed the bandage was blue and is now pink…I just wrapped new vet wrap lower so she could have use of her “hock” “elbow” (not sure of technical term for her bendy part)

I have not removed the telfa pad & wrap (there is a plasticy cast like bandage under the vet wrap ~ which I have NO IDEA how I’ll get that off when time comes. I’m thinking I might take her back to the vet for that….have them show me, because it’s really on there!

Apparently removal was easier then I thought see next post 🤣

Last edited:
Sorry to spam play by play happenings & thoughts….

But a new update just happened unexpectedly…

Her bandage fell off…so we quickly added Neosporin to a fresh bandage and wrapped it back up.

I snapped a few photos when the bandage was off…so we can compare on the healing journey… it’s swollen and has dried blood on the leg, but the wound its self was not actively bleeding. I did not soak or wash…just added a Neosporin bandage back on.

One image I’ve shown where the “bendy elbow” is located in the swollen leg for reference.

you can see her temp home in the back ground of the last photo. She was having a snack and hanging out after her rewrap up.

Attachments

• IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0899.jpeg
    IMG_0899.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wish I could post a video - she was flying up trying to roost - and so I sat her up there with her friend (brought one of the more gentle chicks in to be her friend) they cuddle and she is less squaky with her friend, now I just hear little content chirps.

Anyhow she roosted for a tealllly long time, then they both jumped down and slept under the heat plate.

Will probably change her bandage soon (will share pics and would love to hear comments on healing process thoughts)

Also the cage is changed every day or second day - but still gets very poopy fast! 😅

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpeg
    IMG_0949.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 14
Thoughts on how it will heal & a padded wrap just for “comfort” or so you think it will callous when there’s no real “skin” on the end?

I’m not versed on this sort of injury at all, but to me it looks like she’s doing well! Back to doing chicken things with her friend 🙂

Also, a below the knee amputation in humans is much easier to work with than above the knee, so I’d imagine the same would be true for your chick. There are prosthetic feet online that you could get her later if needed.
@Wyorp Rock

Last edited:
I saw those on Amazon for around $25

I am HOPEFUL she will just get on with her stump because it would be less maintenance. However if she needs protection it’s an option as is wrapping the end with vet wrap - just curious how it will heal - when a human leg is amputated they cover the end with skin. But this was just left open with exposed muscle 🤢

Back
Top Bottom