Garden question: Moldy seed problem

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I’ve been trying on and off to grow cacao seed with the same issue every time. They always develop some kind of fungus or mold. It gets to their center and kills off the taproot- rotting it off.
I’ve never had this problem with other plants and I grew these as I’ve grown any other.

In fact I got so mad about it that I tried doing an experiment. I grew some regularly, some with beneficial bacteria, and the rest with a shot of hydrogen peroxide. All of them were in separate controlled environments except for the bacterial dependent one. None of them made it past the initial stage of growing their tap roots out much. They germinate just fine all the same.

I was hoping someone could help me out? I look it up and there’s another guy who buys from the same market as I do without issue. There’s not much info on this.

I’ve been trying on and off to grow cacao seed with the same issue every time. They always develop some kind of fungus or mold. It gets to their center and kills off the taproot- rotting it off.
I’ve never had this problem with other plants and I grew these as I’ve grown any other.

In fact I got so mad about it that I tried doing an experiment. I grew some regularly, some with beneficial bacteria, and the rest with a shot of hydrogen peroxide. All of them were in separate controlled environments except for the bacterial dependent one. None of them made it past the initial stage of growing their tap roots out much. They germinate just fine all the same.

I was hoping someone could help me out? I look it up and there’s another guy who buys from the same market as I do without issue. There’s not much info on this.
This is interesting. (Sorry, I'm not much of a gardener)

Are they being kept really moist? I've read that can rot them.

Maybe this would help. https://www.montosogardens.com/articles-cacao_seed_propagation_tips/

Cacao is prone to root rot like papaya. You cannot let the soil get soggy. Make sure the spot has enough elevation and then improve soil drainage by adding pearlite, cinders or small stone. You want the soil to be fluffy. If you compress a handful of soil it should crumble instead of making a firm ball.

Back
Top Bottom