Getting new chickens today, not sure what to do

YarnAndChickens

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
I have a small flock of 4 silkies, 1 rooster and 2 pullets all about 12 weeks of age. I'm getting 6 new chickens today all 15 weeks old.

I have a 10x20 run and a 4x6 coop. They get to free range for 2 hours in the evening.

I'm not sure what to do when I bring these new chickens home.

I have a large dog kennel I was thinking of letting the new chickens live in inside the run while everybody gets to introduce.

Only problem with that is, I don't have a second coop for the dog kennel so can the new chickens just sleep on the ground in the kennel for a few nights? I could cover it with a blanket or something so they feel safe.

Do I have any other alternatives?

Can I let the new chickens be in the kennel inside the coop for 3 hours then when the other chickens go to the coop for night I can stick the new chickens in with them?

Please help

They can be in the kennel as long as you feel it's safe enough for them in there.

I personally don't believe in the "stick new birds in a coop overnight" because chickens aren't so stupid to not notice the newcomers when they wake up. Yes it may work for some folks but you're also risking a big fight breaking out at a time when you're not able to monitor or intervene.

Other question is you don't seem to have a plan for biological quarantine, where are these new birds sourced from?

First thing, build a bigger coop...4x6 is not going to work well with that many birds.

But, here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Do you think that is too small even if 4 of my birds are silkies and do not use the roost bars? They stay on the floor in a corner. So only 9 birds on the roosts and I have plenty of them.

Back
Top Bottom