Getting only different breeds?

cornelius89

Hatching
Jun 19, 2024
Hey everyone! I'm new here and have a few ducks right now and looking to get a few more, probably 4. I'm pretty set on getting at least a Cayuga and a Welsh Harlequin. My question is, are ducks okay with being raised with completely different breeds from one another. I'm not worried about fighting necessarily and I know they'd be fine with it, just wondering if people have noticed anything raising they're own flocks that they'd be more or equally happy with being around someone from their own, at least from the start. Only reason I ask is I don't see many people online doing this. If so, I'd go for a Golden 300 and a Swedish, which are all generally around the same size. I'd also be content with getting 2 Cayuga/Welsh. Thanks

Interesting question, I have a hodge podge of breeds, all mallard types. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but they are only 11 weeks. I notice more male vs female differences than breed. And I think they understand each other. :idunno

I have had Hookbills, Runners, Buffs, Mallards and Rouens. The only thing that affects who is close friends with who seems to be who they were raised with. For example, I had runners raised with hookbills. Later on I added some more runners and my old runners stuck like glue to the hookbills side. My old runners were not mean to the new ones by any means, but they stayed bonded to the hookbills they grew up with never really bonding with the new ones.

Thx! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything beforehand. Don't plan on getting any drakes, at least for now. @HollowOfWisps never heard of hookbills until now, if I ever get around to expanding my coop I may just get some!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom