Getting two Polish Chickens! Any tips for caring for them?

Pics
57CB553C-F051-45B2-BF32-81F41421EB43.jpeg
My hen laid an egg already.

Yay! Congrats on the egg and on getting Polish - they are my favourite!! I'm no expert myself but I have a pair of 12 week old polish so I thought I'd chime in and keep you company at the very least!

So far, mine have been very easy to care for, but I've raised them from birth in a big (26 chicken) flock of mixed mostly show type birds (but hatchery quality).

Some have problems keeping them with other birds, especially larger ones like leghorns because they might bully the polish for their weird feathering. Mine have not been bullied whatsoever.

Some trim the head feathers if their birds are having a hard time seeing, but I have not (yet) experienced that either. I do check extra carefully in their head feathers for mites, just as I do with my Silkies.

The one thing I have done is just for my Splash Polish cockerel. His head feathers grew in more slowly exposing his pinkish scalp, so I spray his head with blukote just in case the others "see red" and pecked at him. My WCB pullet didn't have this problem so I only sprayed her once when she was very young. I've sprayed my cockerel about four times now.

I want to see your polish chickens. Can you post a picture of them on them on
Yay! Congrats on the egg and on getting Polish - they are my favourite!! I'm no expert myself but I have a pair of 12 week old polish so I thought I'd chime in and keep you company at the very least!

So far, mine have been very easy to care for, but I've raised them from birth in a big (26 chicken) flock of mixed mostly show type birds (but hatchery quality).

Some have problems keeping them with other birds, especially larger ones like leghorns because they might bully the polish for their weird feathering. Mine have not been bullied whatsoever.

Some trim the head feathers if their birds are having a hard time seeing, but I have not (yet) experienced that either. I do check extra carefully in their head feathers for mites, just as I do with my Silkies.

The one thing I have done is just for my Splash Polish cockerel. His head feathers grew in more slowly exposing his pinkish scalp, so I spray his head with blukote just in case the others "see red" and pecked at him. My WCB pullet didn't have this problem so I only sprayed her once when she was very young. I've sprayed my cockerel about four times now.
Very good info! Im getting mine at about 5 weeks of age

I want to see your polish chickens. Can you post a picture of them on them on

Very good info! Im getting mine at about 5 weeks of age
Hahaha they are very awkward at five weeks! This was my Agador at that age:
86343D4D-4309-4EA6-86F9-897F2199F0CF.jpeg

And this was my first sign "Opal" (now Armand) was a little cockerel:
8A8C05CF-457D-421F-8357-90CEA0791260.jpeg

Now here they are tonight before I tucked them in to bed:
81FC9BB6-641D-463C-9C81-6B6BB313F66D.jpeg

D40D3D6C-AE4B-48B1-8D01-4475AC0EF950.jpeg

EFA99457-009D-441B-8457-5C270C52B113.jpeg

2DDE34BA-7EB0-497B-8D1F-D8D8477E289C.jpeg

Okay, and because I'm a crazy chicken lady who can't resist oversharing, here they are as babies:
A441A917-2CC2-4048-B223-F6A876D6D767.jpeg

988A448A-DB76-482B-AD2E-04BDD5CAFA88.jpeg

Okay @ButteCA your turn! Let's see those cute chickies!!

Back
Top Bottom