Gingerbread Chickens

MissPrissy

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Forks, Virginia
I use real gingerbread as ornaments and name tags at Christmas as well as for eating.

1996_chickenbread.jpg

I have been baking this afternoon.

Gingerbread chickens are very tasty.
big_smile.png

Oh Miss Prissy, those look gorgeous and absolutely delicious!! Is there any way you could post the recipe, I've been looking for an excellent gingerbread cookie, but everything I try, seems to fall short. The texture seems right, but the taste is not "gingery" enough for me. I would love to be able to surprise my father with a tin full of tasty gingerbread cookies. Help, please!!
smile.png

MP I need the recipe you use for the frosting and also is there any special treatment the gingerbread cookies get to be able to be used as ornaments? Do I need to do something different to them or just leave them out to get hard? Thanks!!

I bake them an extra few minutes. Let them air dry 24 - 48 hours. Paint them with 3D paints and seal them with mod podge for ornaments.

The icing for eating cookies is simply powdered sugar and the tiniest bit of water (food color changes the colors) until it is thick but can still be pipped from a tiny bag or pushed through a syringe. It will begin to dry on the outer shell within minutes - but don't touch it. The inside will be wet for a long time.

They're lovely! My BFF (and she really is, 42 years now we've been buds) used to make a gingerbread house every fall for her church to raffle off - back when she didn't work full time. They're lots of work, but so nice to have for the holiday season
smile.png

Those look awesome, MissP. My mother had a recipe that wasn't gingerbread, but made cookies that looked like that that she cut into animal shapes. They were very chewy in the middle and hard on the edges and I have no idea what they were called, though; she's been dead ten years and my dad is 88 and can't remember them.
hmm.png
Any ideas?

1996_gingerchicks2b.jpg

Same recipe but using 3D paints and candy decorations for ornaments. Sometime in the next 2 - 3 days I will coat them in mod podge.

Back
Top Bottom