Give me the goods on Turkeys!

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hello!
I currently have chickens and am looking to get 2 turkeys (whenever I can find some). I don't want to willy nilly buy turkeys. That's where you come in. Can you please give me your knowledge and adivce and all I need to know before getting them? I have been reading articles online but talking to people with experience I believe, is best. I have read broad type is not so great as they have issues as they get older because they are so top-heavy so to speak. I am hoping to find some heritage. Will they fly away? I have a mostly 6f privacy fence around our acre with exception of one small section that is probably 4 1/2 to 5 ft.
Anyway, all knowledge is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello!
I currently have chickens and am looking to get 2 turkeys (whenever I can find some). I don't want to willy nilly buy turkeys. That's where you come in. Can you please give me your knowledge and advice and all I need to know before getting them? I have been reading articles online but talking to people with experience I believe, is best. I have read broad type is not so great as they have issues as they get older because they are so top-heavy so to speak. I am hoping to find some heritage. Will they fly away? I have a mostly 6f privacy fence around our acre with exception of one small section that is probably 4 1/2 to 5 ft.
Anyway, all knowledge is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
If your privacy fence is a wooden fence, the turkeys will find it attractive as a perch site. Once they sit up on the fence they will almost always get down on the wrong side of the fence and then run back and forth along the fence trying to get back in. I use a 6' x 2"x4" woven wire fence with no top bar. There isn't anything to perch on and it keeps them in pretty good.

Broad breasted turkeys have their purpose which they serve admirably as a quick source of food. They should not be kept as pets even though they have a very docile nature.

If you want your turkeys as pets, do not human imprint them when they are poults. You can tame and gentle them once they are adults. If you imprint them they lose the ability to understand that people are not turkeys. Having a large bird think there is no difference between you and them can be dangerous when they decide to treat you the same as they would treat another turkey.

People that think it is neat to teach a poult to fly up and land on their shoulder learn the hard way that it is not good when an adult turkey lands on their shoulder, sinks its claws in and bats them in the head with a wing.

You can learn a lot about many of the different heritage turkey varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

If your privacy fence is a wooden fence, the turkeys will find it attractive as a perch site. Once they sit up on the fence they will almost always get down on the wrong side of the fence and then run back and forth along the fence trying to get back in. I use a 6' x 2"x4" woven wire fence with no top bar. There isn't anything to perch on and it keeps them in pretty good.

Broad breasted turkeys have their purpose which they serve admirably as a quick source of food. They should not be kept as pets even though they have a very docile nature.

If you want your turkeys as pets, do not human imprint them when they are poults. You can tame and gentle them once they are adults. If you imprint them they lose the ability to understand that people are not turkeys. Having a large bird think there is no difference between you and them can be dangerous when they decide to treat you the same as they would treat another turkey.

People that think it is neat to teach a poult to fly up and land on their shoulder learn the hard way that it is not good when an adult turkey lands on their shoulder, sinks its claws in and bats them in the head with a wing.

You can learn a lot about many of the different heritage turkey varieties at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

Thank you. I wonder if I can find adult females that need a home... I do want them to be friendly but I definitely do not want them attempting to land on my shoulder. I do not mind a lap turkey though. Do you know how difficult it would be to introduce an adult to a flock of chickens? I do have a rooster. He looks like maybe a EE roo. I am really not sure his breed, but he is good size.

Thank you. I wonder if I can find adult females that need a home... I do want them to be friendly but I definitely do not want them attempting to land on my shoulder. I do not mind a lap turkey though. Do you know how difficult it would be to introduce an adult to a flock of chickens? I do have a rooster. He looks like maybe a EE roo. I am really not sure his breed, but he is good size.
I keep chickens and turkeys together but do not recommend it. I especially don' recommend adding a single turkey to a flock of chickens.

Buying your turkeys locally as adults or old enough to be sexed is about the only way to add turkeys of known sexes.

You may find Tribute to @memphis and her lapper turkeys of interest.

Back
Top Bottom