Goats. Sell her or keep her

22lilchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 3, 2014
Virginia
I have 5 goats as of yesterday. I went and picked up a 3 month old buckling, a little kinder buckling. He is tiny and sweet. I have a problem though, my eldest doe which is not old, had been bullying him. Will run him away from food. And will not let him near the gate or let him in the run in out of pouring down rain. I had to make a little run in on the side of the main one so he could get out of the rain. This is not the first time she had bullied, I while back I got her babies half sister and she did the same thing to her and still does it. I know about the herd queen and everything but the poor bucking is probably less then a foot tall, he is mostly Pygmy. She will run him away even if they are just standing around.if I am in there she won't do it because ill correct her or stop her. I have been debating on should I sell her or keep her she is a Nigeran dwarf and I want to start breeding kinders so it wouldn't be to big of a loss specially since I have her daughter and her son(weathered). So should I sell her and just get a Nubian doeling or should I keep her?

Unless you plan on breeding all of your does he's with separate him immediately.. He could've gotten them pregnant already. He should be separated at 2 months.

She's probably pissy because he's trying to breed them. If you don't want Nigerian dwarves and aren't milking her, then I'd say sell her just because it just seems like a waste. Otherwise I'd just separate them.. They shouldn't be together anyways unless you were planning on breeding, even so he's a bit too young.

I do plan on useing him for breeding that's the reason I bought him. And I have not seen him try to mate with none of them. And he couldn't try if he wanted to because she won't let him within 10 feet of her and two others. But she does the same stuff to a doeling I have.

Before you start jumping to conclusions, she does not only do it to him but to a doeling I've had for almost a year now. And when another goat refuses to let two others eat or drink or even get in a run in that has plenty of room is not right. And i know about breeding does and how it has effects on there body's. that is why I'm in the process of having my buck pen secured.

Just want to note.. Just because you run a buck with does doesn't mean you're going to let them 'get bred to death'. We ran our buck with our does, and most farmers I know do too. Just let them run for 2-3 months, and separate them, gives the doe plenty of time to, like give birth and stuff, lol
That's a completely different story.... that's called pasture breeding. Running a buck all year long with your does is certainly a problem.

Sounds like the OP has already made up their mind to sell this doe, just wanting someone else back them up on it.

If you don't want the doe or she's not working out for you, just sell her. You'll continue to see her as a problem for as long as you believe she is a problem. (You know how in any situation, the more you critically analyze something, the more you pick it apart?) She may fit in another herd much better than yours. If she doesn't fit into your breeding plans anyway, then I don't understand why it's even a question.

Just want to note.. Just because you run a buck with does doesn't mean you're going to let them 'get bred to death'. We ran our buck with our does, and most farmers I know do too. Just let them run for 2-3 months, and separate them, gives the doe plenty of time to, like give birth and stuff, lol

That's a completely different story.... that's called pasture breeding. Running a buck all year long with your does is certainly a problem.

Sounds like the OP has already made up their mind to sell this doe, just wanting someone else back them up on it.

If you don't want the doe or she's not working out for you, just sell her. You'll continue to see her as a problem for as long as you believe she is a problem. (You know how in any situation, the more you critically analyze something, the more you pick it apart?)  She may fit in another herd much better than yours. If she doesn't fit into your breeding plans anyway, then I don't understand why it's even a question.

That's just being pedantic. Running a buck with your does doesn't imply they're living with them full time, and can be used to describe pasturing them too.

With goats And sheep see running them used more often than pasture breeding.

Just because you see it frequently doesn't make it correct. Allowing your does to be bred all the time will reduce the doe's lifespan and increases deficiencies and disease since her body never has a chance to build back her store in between kiddings.
I realize it's a common practice many places, especially in meat goat herds, to just run the buck and does together all year long. I will reiterate, it doesn't make it the best management practice for a herd. It's no different than adding supplemental lighting to the chicken coop in the winter. Sure you get your eggs, but the hens never have a period of rest to replenish their bodies. It's also why they recommend human women wait awhile in between pregnancies. Your body needs that time to recoop.
I'll be happy to agree to disagree with you on this. :)

I posted this mainly to see if this is normal behavior for the herd queen. And she does fit into my breeding program. I see this has just mainly created arguments. So lets clear this up, I am not keeping my 3 month old buck with them all the time I put him in there because my buck pen is still in the process of being secured. And not everyone breeds goats the same way as other people, your opinion is your opinion.

If you have a problem then you do not have to read this. And it is an opinion on the way you choose to breed, whether it be pasture or in hand. Everyone has clearly stated Including myself that we know what the effects on breeding does to someone's or something's body. This is not even about breeding it's about a animals aggressiveness towards other animals.

Back
Top Bottom