Goldtop cockrel cross silkie hens

Rumourhasit

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
hey, I’ve been a lurker for quite some time and can usually find answers to my questions. But alas I needed to ask one of my own, so here I am.
I have what I believe are two Goldtop cockerels in with multiple silkie hens. What can I expect from their offspring? Half silkie half Goldtop?! Also what colours could I expect as I have a rainbow of coloured silkie hens.
Picture for reference of one of the boys (the other looks identical)
Many thanks 😊

Attachments

• ACC712AC-8316-4FCB-A867-D45BCFE32354.jpeg
    ACC712AC-8316-4FCB-A867-D45BCFE32354.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 12
I had to look up what a Goldtop was, I'd never heard of that one! From what I'm reading, it's a sexlinked cross between a 'gold' Silkie male and a Light Sussex bantam female, in which case your male pictured cannot be such a cross as he would be light-skinned and not have silkied feathering. He could feasibly be a second generation cross (as in, his parents could both have been Goldtops, in which case he's technically not a Goldtop, himself, as that is no longer a sexlinked cross), or he could just be a mixed color Silkie.

His offspring with your Silkie hens will really depend on the specific varieties of the hens, and on his genetic background which is not confidently known. What varieties are your Silkie hens? Depending on that, I can probably at least estimate a few things, and perhaps others can chime in and fill in the blanks I'm unable to answer, myself.

I had to look up what a Goldtop was, I'd never heard of that one! From what I'm reading, it's a sexlinked cross between a 'gold' Silkie male and a Light Sussex bantam female, in which case your male pictured cannot be such a cross as he would be light-skinned and not have silkied feathering. He could feasibly be a second generation cross (as in, his parents could both have been Goldtops, in which case he's technically not a Goldtop, himself, as that is no longer a sexlinked cross), or he could just be a mixed color Silkie.

His offspring with your Silkie hens will really depend on the specific varieties of the hens, and on his genetic background which is not confidently known. What varieties are your Silkie hens? Depending on that, I can probably at least estimate a few things, and perhaps others can chime in and fill in the blanks I'm unable to answer, myself.
Ok thank you. Yes they have 5 toes and black skin and silkie feathers. Someone told me they were Goldtops though when I asked about colour and that made me panic a bit as I was sold them as silkies. I’ll be super glad if they are just multi coloured silkies 😃
I have most silkie coloured hens , red, gold, white, black, splash, partridge, buff, silver, blue, cuckoo and bi colours and tri colours. A whole rainbow 🌈. Thank you so much for your reply ☺️

Attachments

• 6577AC15-2D41-4DDC-9DC4-DC58AC59F529.jpeg
    6577AC15-2D41-4DDC-9DC4-DC58AC59F529.jpeg
    902.4 KB · Views: 5
  • D3E92002-98C7-49BC-9905-74E38D34424D.jpeg
    D3E92002-98C7-49BC-9905-74E38D34424D.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CC5F6075-7071-415D-8E52-9E585ADEA022.jpeg
    CC5F6075-7071-415D-8E52-9E585ADEA022.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Solid black is dominant over patterns, and Blue, Splash, and Cuckoo are all additional genes on a solid black base. Chicks from those colors will be as follows:
Black mother - Black chicks with varying amounts of silver or gold color leaking through
Blue mother - Blue and Black chicks with silver or gold color leaking through
Splash mother - Blue chicks with silver or gold color leaking through
Cuckoo mother - Black females and Cuckoo males, both with silver or gold color leaking through

White in Silkies is generally recessive white, so it's hard to say what your Whites will produce as recessive white hides everything. If they're solid Black underneath their white coloring, then the chicks will be the same as with a Black hen, but I have heard that Partridge is common under recessive white in Silkies so I don't know there.

The rest of them I'm not familiar with the genetics of or don't have a strong idea what they'll produce with your males, so hopefully someone else can give you answers there. 🙂

Solid black is dominant over patterns, and Blue, Splash, and Cuckoo are all additional genes on a solid black base. Chicks from those colors will be as follows:
Black mother - Black chicks with varying amounts of silver or gold color leaking through
Blue mother - Blue and Black chicks with silver or gold color leaking through
Splash mother - Blue chicks with silver or gold color leaking through
Cuckoo mother - Black females and Cuckoo males, both with silver or gold color leaking through

White in Silkies is generally recessive white, so it's hard to say what your Whites will produce as recessive white hides everything. If they're solid Black underneath their white coloring, then the chicks will be the same as with a Black hen, but I have heard that Partridge is common under recessive white in Silkies so I don't know there.

The rest of them I'm not familiar with the genetics of or don't have a strong idea what they'll produce with your males, so hopefully someone else can give you answers there. 🙂
Thank you. That's very helpful :0)

Back
Top Bottom