Good morning ya'll! Hen crop issues and really need help!

BellasBunch

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2016
Thank you for taking time to read this! I appreciate your help!

So 6 nights ago my 8 month old Ameracauna hen was leaking fluid from mouth when I "tucked her in". I brought her inside as the other hens were pecking on her.
Read for hours, then in the morning I incorporated my plan. I made her vomit. She was instantly happier. (MAN that stuff stinks!!)
I assumed it was sour crop, got monistic going, with held food and crop massages every hour in the day

Crop was smaller next day ,no pooping. Well she didn't eat I thought. SO I fed her greek yogurt all day and monistat cream. Next morning crop small but bigger than after emptying.. So, then I read about coconut oil. She ate up the tablespoon of coconut oil crumbles and I massaged. Voila that next morning I had 5 poos( hard but normal looking just a bit smaller). (meanwhile she has been acting fine this whole time!)

So I gave her a we bit of scramble eggs ,like a teaspoon and water. Before bed she got another helping of coconut oil. Continued the routine with moist and massage. The next day crop was squishy and not empty. Took her to the only bird vet around. He did float test on her poo and found eggs. So he sent me home with fenbenzenadole and Cisapride as well as critical care food. 4 and a half hours later and $250 I hope we have a plan that will fix her!

The next She got her 2nd doses of the prescription meds and her critical care food. BTW, she woke up with full crop. Doc said to let her eat crumbles and water all she wants. No poo again.

Day 5 same. Groundhog Day except in the afternoon I took away her food and water and did not give her critical career for. I did give her the meds and coconut oil.
This morning one or 2 hard poos and leaking fluid from mouth. I vomited her , got a. lot out, and now trying to figure out a next step! I AM AT A LOSS as to how to proceed.

Poor thing! She isn't acting sick! Good comb color! Vet did not feel an egg( not sure she is laying yet), and had no other advice except $400 worth of blood tests. ; (

THANK YOU!!!

So 6 nights ago my 8 month old Ameracauna hen was leaking fluid from mouth when I "tucked her in". I brought her inside as the other hens were pecking on her.
Read for hours, then in the morning I incorporated my plan. I made her vomit. She was instantly happier. (MAN that stuff stinks!!)
I assumed it was sour crop, got monistic going, with held food and crop massages every hour in the day

Crop was smaller next day ,no pooping. Well she didn't eat I thought. SO I fed her greek yogurt all day and monistat cream. Next morning crop small but bigger than after emptying.. So, then I read about coconut oil. She ate up the tablespoon of coconut oil crumbles and I massaged. Voila that next morning I had 5 poos( hard but normal looking just a bit smaller). (meanwhile she has been acting fine this whole time!)

So I gave her a we bit of scramble eggs ,like a teaspoon and water. Before bed she got another helping of coconut oil. Continued the routine with moist and massage. The next day crop was squishy and not empty. Took her to the only bird vet around. He did float test on her poo and found eggs. So he sent me home with fenbenzenadole and Cisapride as well as critical care food. 4 and a half hours later and $250 I hope we have a plan that will fix her!

The next She got her 2nd doses of the prescription meds and her critical care food. BTW, she woke up with full crop. Doc said to let her eat crumbles and water all she wants. No poo again.

Day 5 same. Groundhog Day except in the afternoon I took away her food and water and did not give her critical career for. I did give her the meds and coconut oil.
This morning one or 2 hard poos and leaking fluid from mouth. I vomited her , got a. lot out, and now trying to figure out a next step! I AM AT A LOSS as to how to proceed.

Poor thing! She isn't acting sick! Good comb color! Vet did not feel an egg( not sure she is laying yet), and had no other advice except $400 worth of blood tests. ; (

THANK YOU!!!
I am not an expert and certainly not a vet but my experience was that it took me a good week to 10 days of daily morning crop massage and coconut oil to fix my Minnie’s blocked crop.

Sorry about all of your hen’s crop problems. She sounds like she has sour crop. Never withhold water from any chicken. Do not massage a puffy crop, or they can aspirate and die. Massaging a solid hard or doughy crop is okay. You might try feeding watery mushy chicken feed and egg. You also could learn to tube feed her a lot of water with electrolytes. It sounds like she may have a worm issue in the crop, intestines, or elsewhere that has caused blockages. What kind of worm eggs did the bet see? Gizzards can also become blocked or not functioning normally. I have only dealt with sour crop in hens who had reproductive disorders or ascites, and the pressure slowed down digestion. One hen ate twigs, algae, and bark, along with other garbage in the yard. I never was able to cure it. Azygous’s article here may help you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. The eggs were in her stool, they didn't see an actual worm. Vet said round worms. He really wasn't helpful;. I will read the article.
Having a hard time figuring out what she has exactly. It goes sour after not emptying. a couple of days. Water doesn't seem to really be passing. I am now trying Dulcolax so fingers crossed!

I've only dealt with sour crop once. I treated it with monistat for more than a week. It took a while to clear up. I didn't massage her crop at all (I don't think), and I gave her access to water. And I think it'll take a bit to get the worms killed and out of her system. Six days seems not long enough for treatment. If it were my hen, I'd continue the monistat for a few more days and the fendendazole (as directed).

In other words, you are doing great! I know we all want our girls to get better, it takes a long time sometimes.

That is encouraging to hear! What did you do for her?
Every morning before dawn while she was still sleepy I would take her off the roost and pop some coconut oil doen her throat and then spend 10 mins massaging her crop.
It took at least 5-6 days before it started to feel a bit smaller each morning.
And then after a week but I think before 10 days it started being essentially empty in the morning.

Thank you. The eggs were in her stool, they didn't see an actual worm. Vet said round worms. He really wasn't helpful;. I will read the article.
Having a hard time figuring out what she has exactly. It goes sour after not emptying. a couple of days. Water doesn't seem to really be passing. I am now trying Dulcolax so fingers crossed!
How did your girl fare? Did you figure out the cause?

THANK YOU!!!
I have been successful in using powdered carbon, human health food store, added to food you are using to stop sour crop

Back
Top Bottom