ChicksandJacque

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2024
Hi I'm Jacque,
I've cared for grown chickens, but I've never raised chicks of my own. This fall I took the plunge and am finishing up my chicken coop and run. Coops just about ready for my chicks. My chicks are in a brooder in my house, warm and comfy. They are 3 1/2 week and 1 1/2 weeks old. The first 6 were shipped from a hatchery They all did fine. I then added 6 more from Rural King. I lost 3 of the younger chicks within 3 days of picking them up at Rural King. I wish I would have been better prepared with some remedies. The other 3 seem to be doing ok. I'd like to replace the 3 that I lost, but I'm a little worried they won't do well with my older chicks. Any advice?

Welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for your losses. I would suggest keeping chick electrolytes and corid for emergencies.
If you want to add little ones, do it before the older ones reach 4 weeks. Be prepared with an additional brooder in case it doesn't work out. Raising them all out in the coop with a couple of brooder plates would be ideal. The more room they have the better they'll get along.

Back
Top Bottom