Goose egg not pipping

Birdsarelife

Songster
Mar 11, 2024
Colorado
Hello BYC! One of my friends goose eggs is not pipping on day 28 of incubation. Which is Its hatching day. It is moving a lot, cheeping, and breathing still. Should we assist it? Thanks

Disclaimer: I have no experience with goose eggs, but I read they can take 24 to 36 hours for it to hatch. How long has it been since the hatching process began? Is it late compared to other eggs incubated at the same time? Are you/they able to candle the egg to see how far along it is? If it's been under 24h I would wait, or if you are concerned it has been a while since it started peeping and might run out of air, make a tiny safety hole in the air cell, but no more at first.

There's some reference pics in here that may be helpful to know when it is ready for help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

For duck eggs, you can candle to see when the yolk is absorbed / veins recede, not sure if that is the same with goose eggs.

Hopefully someone with more experience hatching goslings will see this and help / answer as well!

Disclaimer: I have no experience with goose eggs, but I read they can take 24 to 36 hours for it to hatch. How long has it been since the hatching process began? Is it late compared to other eggs incubated at the same time? Are you/they able to candle the egg to see how far along it is? If it's been under 24h I would wait, or if you are concerned it has been a while since it started peeping and might run out of air, make a tiny safety hole in the air cell, but no more at first.

There's some reference pics in here that may be helpful to know when it is ready for help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

For duck eggs, you can candle to see when the yolk is absorbed / veins recede, not sure if that is the same with goose eggs.

Hopefully someone with more experience hatching goslings will see this and help / answer as well!
It internally pipped yesterday night, and was supposed to pip today but it is now midnight where I am, and still no pip. We are going to wait until morning or afternoon to see if it has pipped, if it hasn’t by then should we make a safety hole? Thank you for the link❤️

In that case, I would make a safety hole now just to be sure it doesn't run out of air from the air sac overnight. It just needs to be the size of a needle tip/as small as you can keep it. Are you familiar with how to make one?

Example on a duck egg (it is on the side here instead of in the air cell because it was trying to pip on the wrong end/had bruised, but reference is for size mostly):

1715408227755.png
1715408263150.png

In that case, I would make a safety hole now just to be sure it doesn't run out of air from the air sac overnight. It just needs to be the size of a needle tip/as small as you can keep it. Are you familiar with how to make one?

Example on a duck egg (it is on the side here instead of in the air cell because it was trying to pip on the wrong end/had bruised, but reference is for size mostly):

View attachment 3828247View attachment 3828249
Yes my friend is experienced and has done it before, but never done it on a goose egg. Will keep you updated

Yes my friend is experienced and has done it before, but never done it on a goose egg. Will keep you updated
I’m sorry I accidentally fell asleep last night, so forget to update.
Update- my friend has successfully made a safety hole, and this morning it is still breathing and pecking. Still hasn’t pipped yet though 😕, so will update when it pips.

Back
Top Bottom