Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Hi everyone,

I started my goose and duck eggs 33 days ago. Set 19 duck eggs and 5 goose eggs. On Friday day 28 one duckling started to hatch. After two days and a dried out egg I did a little help it let itself out the rest of the way all sticky when I moved it to the brooder and it passed away by the next morning. Two days ago my first gosling started to pip and made its egg-scape this morning. Hoping for it to survive but I won't hold my breath. I hear it peeping my question is when it came out its head was twisted downward and how long before it learns to right itself or is it just my view of it?

Last yr I set 6 African Toulouse eggs at lockdown I had four and hatched four but only one survived. He is one yr old now.

These eggs I have in the incubator are from a pair of American Buff geese I bought from the fair in the summer last year. She laid five eggs I found them and placed them in the incubator, she is currently setting on her own 6 eggs in her little duck house. I will post pics of that. Because ducks laid in the big goose house and it's a pretty funny sight.

You think I would have figured this out by now but I don't know, I always worry!
I always worry too. I can't speak for geese but when my ducklings hatch sometimes its 24 hrs or more before they lift their head.
fl.gif
for your new one.

I always worry too.  I can't speak for geese but when my ducklings hatch sometimes its 24 hrs or more before they lift their head. :fl for your new one.

Thank you for responding I think it's doing pretty well in there. It's been up and about in there for a couple hours now. Was hoping for other pips but nothing so far. Pretty soon I am going to have to move it to the brooder.
I was trying to figure out when Mrs Goose's, goslings will hatch I am thinking in the next 7 to 10 days. Hopefully she will take this one too when it's time to move it outside. In the meantime I have to figure out its brooder situation. It's still kinda wet looking so I haven't tried to move it out yet.

Anyone know how long they can be left in the incubator and it still be safe?

Thank you for responding I think it's doing pretty well in there. It's been up and about in there for a couple hours now. Was hoping for other pips but nothing so far. Pretty soon I am going to have to move it to the brooder.
I was trying to figure out when Mrs Goose's, goslings will hatch I am thinking in the next 7 to 10 days. Hopefully she will take this one too when it's time to move it outside. In the meantime I have to figure out its brooder situation. It's still kinda wet looking so I haven't tried to move it out yet.

Whats the temp in your bator now? Depending on the heat, they could stay as long as 2-3 days safely. Might not be too safe for the other eggs that haven't hatched yet, being it will start knocking them around.

Having never incubated anything ever before I set 18 goose eggs on March 15th. Seven were discarded after candling on Day 10. As of today the remaining eleven have all hatched and I have to say I am most grateful to Pete55 for having written this guide which I was fortunate enough to find when searching google for advise as I had no previous experience to draw on. Thank you Pete55 !!
smile.png

Having never incubated anything ever before I set 18 goose eggs on March 15th. Seven were discarded after candling on Day 10. As of today the remaining eleven have all hatched and I have to say I am most grateful to Pete55 for having written this guide which I was fortunate enough to find when searching google for advise as I had no previous experience to draw on. Thank you Pete55 !!
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
and CONGRATULATIONS on an outstanding first hatch. Post pictures of the little ones if you have time
smile.png

News from day 12.

The incubation process is going on, but there is already some losses. 2 eggs stooped in the first days, and there is one suspicious. The other 3 are developing normally.
Picture 1 gives you the image of those two eggs that stooped.

The following graph show the weigh decrease of the different eggs. The number 4 is clearly out of the profile and is one that is not developing. Generally the mass decreased 5-6% in 12 days. Should I keep the humidity level on the incubator (its set at 50%)?

When should I start to cool and mist them?

Any comments are welcome...

How did the hatching turn out?

News from day 12.

The incubation process is going on, but there is already some losses. 2 eggs stooped in the first days, and there is one suspicious. The other 3 are developing normally.
Picture 1 gives you the image of those two eggs that stooped.

The following graph show the weigh decrease of the different eggs. The number 4 is clearly out of the profile and is one that is not developing. Generally the mass decreased 5-6% in 12 days. Should I keep the humidity level on the incubator (its set at 50%)?

When should I start to cool and mist them?

Any comments are welcome...

I can't speak for goose eggs, but I started misting my Muscovy eggs on day 10. I pulled 2 quiters on day 12. How does your air cell growth compare to your weight loss? If they look good, I would keep the humidity where it is. I'm having to do everything I can to get my humidity down and I have NO water in the bator, grrrr. Continued good luck to you
fl.gif

This is really great!!! Awesome information. We have a question-we just received 6 Sebastapol geese eggs, in the mail. So you said that Sebastapols lose less moisture than Africans. What amount of humidity should we be setting it at? We have read everything from 75% to almost 100%, which does not concur with what you have written. Please let us know if you think 45% is adequate for our little Sebastapols. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom