GOSLING SCREAMING AT ME! how do I get a break?

DuckDuckDuckGoose

Chirping
8 Years
May 11, 2011
The Great Northwest
Everytime I put down my 11 day old gosling in his brooder he is screaming and jumping for me to take him out and hold him, he has a Khaki Campbell duckling in there with him. I thought they would keep eachother company. Any ideas? How do I get a break so I can get my chores done? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
T.

If you reward him by picking him up, he'll keep yelling for you to come pick him up. You think of it as making him not yell; he processes it as "I yelled and I got picked up. Win!".

Here's a handy tip I've been using for my single baby goose.
Take a book on tape, or music that has a lot of talking, and plug it into some speakers. An iPod works great, along with all those other music devices. Then put the speakers in the brooder. Turn up the volume till it's about the noise level of you talking normally. Sit there for a little bit, and then, when he's not looking, dart away.
I've usually found they peep for a while, but get quiet quicker. A stuffed animal duck in the brooder helps too.
Sometimes I come and find my baby curled up next to the iPod!
gig.gif

Thankyou "Thekid" "Daydreamer" & "ifthegoosefits" for your helpful comments. I have a stuffed animal in the brooder Check> your right daydreamer about picking him/her up when she is screaming, but not only does she scream but jumps up on the side of the makeshift brooder I have and I am afraid she/he will break his/her frickin neck. And she keeps jumping. I have been stuck at home like I just had a newborn baby and mine is 15yrs old. Dang........................not used to being tied down LOL. The good Lord sent me this gosling/duck for a reason, just have not figured out WHAT reason.lol I guess he knew I have 5 acres with 3 ponds, 2 goats, a horse, 3 dogs, 2 pekins, and a fish. guess he figured I needed more animals to feed and drive me nuts to be fed more. lol. At least I can ride the horse;)
Thanks
T.

PS: I am going to try the radio. Thanks "if the goose fits" that was a great idea.

Last edited:
I suggested to someone in the duck forum something about putting a ticking clock in with their lone duckling. He found an app for his iPhone that played ducks sounds and certain intervals and it worked. Something about the silence bothers baby animals. They want to make sure safety and protection is nearby.

Last edited:
True, to many birds, silence is disconcerting. Silence means "ut oh, something is wrong, everyone went quiet!". Also, geese and ducks and chickens and what not are social; they get a bit disconcerted when alone, esp. a baby. My teenage chickens get worried when the rest of their 15 bird flock is out of line of sight. They'll peep (well, it's changing into a non-peep) for 'em and look around.

Our "babies" are going to fret when Replacement Mom or Dad isn't in sight. The reward cycle is you returning to pick them up. He hollers, you return. To him, it's a positive cycle. He's jumping because he wants to hop and out go find you.
smile.png
Put something on the top of the brooder to ensure he won't make it over the edge and hurt himself. A hardware cloth (weighted down) lid or other screen.

It doesnt matter if I have a stuffed animal in there with the tv on or whatever. Mine scream for me if I am out of sight. Sometimes I just need a few minutes of quiet so I bring their box into my bathroom (which has no windows) and drape an old shirt over the side so they can climb beneath it like a wing. Then I turn off the lights and shut the door. After a bit they calm down and take a nap. Thank God for small favors
smile.png

OMG! U just hit the nail on the head ALAS. Thats me. but I havn't submitted them to the bathroom yet. I just put them on a poop pad on the cushion on the (leather) sofa and they nap so I can get something done. well not too much, but ya know what I mean. I wait til DH gets home then I leave the house and take my time getting dinner LOL.
Thanks for your message, I dig BYC. its a nice change from CL and FB all the time. Entertaining anyway.
Thanks
T.

Back
Top Bottom