Granny's gone and done it again

Our neighbor called yesterday... he had a chicken turn up in his backyard wondering if it was ours. It was not. Still there this morning so we went over and got her. Neighbor is disabled, so happy we could help out.
In 2020 the white parakeet showed up.
2021 it's this... oh my
View attachment 2945903

Took 3 of us 20 minutes to catch her.
#1 already named her. Ruffles. He's hoping the owners don't claim her.

View attachment 2945904
Peach is the only to come over and say howdy. Rest of the mob was hiding from the Cooper's hawk... trying to get a quail all morning.
Score! What is she? Cochin?

But yes, didn't want to butcher them in front of our guests... 😂
aww you're too kind..

I'm planning to butcher mine right next to my neighbour's lounge room & kitchen windows so they can see what it costs to eat meat.. they are huge meat monsters...

don't mind me..I eat chicken too.. I just want others to get a shock from seeing the cost of meat consumption cos I'm telling ya.. people over-indulge in meat nowadays without realizing how much "killing" is involved...and the impact it has on the environment..

Last edited:
I did Atkins back in the 70's. Did well. Long story short, gained weight through the years. Lost 80 lbs two years ago doing the Keto. Haven't done the diet for over a year. I'm pretty stable too. :) Haven't gained it back.

you'll need a minimum 5 hours per week of moderate exercise too. Anything below that you're at much higher risk of chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, heart diseases, etc.

how does rooster meat taste like? I'm thinking of processing them when they're 6 months old.. will the meat be too tough then for a roast?
Not sure, this is going to be our first time. I see that a lot of people think 6-8 months is a good time to butcher. We will be doing a rooster and a cockerel. I will try to tell you the difference.

Not sure, this is going to be our first time. I see that a lot of people think 6-8 months is a good time to butcher. We will be doing a rooster and a cockerel. I will try to tell you the difference.

I know Jamie Oliver campaigned a while back to encourage people to eat Commercial Egg Laying Chickens that have passed their egg-by-date.. cos they normally get killed and then buried!! I think that's horrendous cos there's so much wasted meat!!

Anyway long story short, the best way to consume them was minced as the meat was tougher given they were 2 years old. But everybody who tried it said it was very flavoursome and had a very nice texture.

Back
Top Bottom