Granny's gone and done it again

I want to report on the e-collar I got for Sammy. It's working great! The instructions had me introduce him to it in such a way that when he feels it, he knows that the correct response is to come to me. We did that by having him on a long line and starting with the collar on very low, going up gradually until I could see that he felt it. I think it goes up to 100 and he responded at 8. So very mild. When he felt it, without saying anything, I used the line to bring him to me, had him sit and praised him. He learned it very quickly.

The main reason I need the collar is to get him to quit chasing our cars, especially DH's. Well I have to tell you - it works! We can't have him teaching GC's puppy to chase! So it was real important we got a handle on this. And I'm happy to say that I can positively stop him now. The next step is for me not to have to stop him, but for him not to even need a correction. I give it a week, maybe less. Like I said, he learns fast. Will keep you posted. Oh - and I had to go up a bit. In the heat of the chase, he doesn't even feel it at 8. He feels a 12 though!

How did you immobilize it? The vet said she should not be doing anything and prescribed trazadone. So far I haven't had to give her. I'm wondering if her medicine is making her sleepy. She's usually very active but she likes her cushion right now. I have her a cushion to rest on during the day when I first saw her pain
He used the stockinette like they use on fractures, layers of it then secured everything with vet wrap that he layered on until it was like a cast that went over his back and around his good hind leg like a figure 8. He sent home rolls of vet wrap for me to reinforce it if the need arose. I had to carry him everywhere. He could only walk around when he was outside. The vet was amazed that it worked. I wasn't. He had good nursing care.

Trazadone will make her sleepy. We have to 'cloud traz' our dogs for the vet since all 6 of them just stress out so bad the minute they see the door to the office. Try getting some herbal calming chews for dogs on Amazon. We use those for storms and hunting season when there is gun shots every five minutes.
1729221118492.png

These things really work. All herbal. They don't knock them out but they do make them relax and they will nap. Lasts about 4 hours for our crazy dogs.

He used the stockinette like they use on fractures, layers of it then secured everything with vet wrap that he layered on until it was like a cast that went over his back and around his good hind leg like a figure 8. He sent home rolls of vet wrap for me to reinforce it if the need arose. I had to carry him everywhere. He could only walk around when he was outside. The vet was amazed that it worked. I wasn't. He had good nursing care.

Trazadone will make her sleepy. We have to 'cloud traz' our dogs for the vet since all 6 of them just stress out so bad the minute they see the door to the office. Try getting some herbal calming chews for dogs on Amazon. We use those for storms and hunting season when there is gun shots every five minutes.View attachment 3967543
These things really work. All herbal. They don't knock them out but they do make them relax and they will nap. Lasts about 4 hours for our crazy dogs.
Those didn't work for my bunch at all.

I want to report on the e-collar I got for Sammy. It's working great! The instructions had me introduce him to it in such a way that when he feels it, he knows that the correct response is to come to me. We did that by having him on a long line and starting with the collar on very low, going up gradually until I could see that he felt it. I think it goes up to 100 and he responded at 8. So very mild. When he felt it, without saying anything, I used the line to bring him to me, had him sit and praised him. He learned it very quickly.

The main reason I need the collar is to get him to quit chasing our cars, especially DH's. Well I have to tell you - it works! We can't have him teaching GC's puppy to chase! So it was real important we got a handle on this. And I'm happy to say that I can positively stop him now. The next step is for me not to have to stop him, but for him not to even need a correction. I give it a week, maybe less. Like I said, he learns fast. Will keep you posted. Oh - and I had to go up a bit. In the heat of the chase, he doesn't even feel it at 8. He feels a 12 though!
I couldn't bring myself to use those because of the collar having to be tight around the neck and those 2 prongs sticking into their necks. I cant stand turtle neck sweaters or anything touching my neck and cant stand to see it on others.

Trazadone will make her sleepy. We have to 'cloud traz' our dogs for the vet since all 6 of them just stress out so bad the minute they see the door to the office. Try getting some herbal calming chews for dogs on Amazon. We use those for storms and hunting season when there is gun shots every five minutes.View attachment 3967543
I will have to try those chews, Chick. Sammy gets very tense during storms. I usually give him a Benadryl and he's starting to influence Jenny. Trazadone ... we had to give that to Sammy once, I don't remember why. After a couple of days it made him incontinent, so no more!

Back
Top Bottom