Greens for Chickens

Mine love kale. I think most chickens do and it's very good for them.

If you plant it, be sure to fence it or they'll eat it as soon as it sprouts. Been there, done that!
Thank you. I'm already thinking about how to protect my fall garden. It's a container garden so they'd have to jump in. Would planting their goodies in the middle work?

They like a lot of different things.

Kale, swiss chard, green leaf lettuce, spinach, turnip tops (one called seven top doesn't grow the bug roots), and cabbage. Most of those grow pretty fast but don't do well in high heat.

Spinach and swiss chard can interfere with calcium absorption if they eat a lot.

They also like clover and alfalfa.
I hope you mean Dutch clover and they like the flowers most because I'm reseeding my yard with white Dutch clove or miniature clover
It holds up well to foot traffic and doesn't need mowing which is my purpose.

Thank you. I'm already thinking about how to protect my fall garden. It's a container garden so they'd have to jump in. Would planting their goodies in the middle work?
And is there Any plant, non toxic, that they want to always, or usually. Like would stinky marigolds help mask the goodie smells?

I'd still fence it. You'd hate for them to get whatever it is you're planting. You could have planted dandelions and one of us will say our chickens won't eat it, and the next one will say theirs love it.

I'd still fence it. You'd hate for them to get whatever it is you're planting. You could have planted dandelions and one of us will say our chickens won't eat it, and the next one will say theirs love it.
Indeed, never trust a chicken in a garden. They'll eat your plants, scratch up your rows and dust bathe in your beds. You'll go from having a garden to had a garden

Back
Top Bottom