Pics
That's good to know. Still, looking at LGD breeds, I'm leaning towards a short coated breed. Easier for me to handle, and the 40°C summers (even if double coated) must be a nightmare to bear
What breeds are you looking at? I love Anatolian Shepherd's, very easy to train but indeed they have a double coat....

Exactly right! Looking at the Leonberger, people assume it's a grooming nightmare. And granted they do a "coat blow," once / year. But after having many different Jumbo breeds I find them incredibly easy to groom and I don't bathe them until show time. I also don't alter my dogs which lends to beautiful coats. I brush daily but it's only about 5 minutes, no big deal.

My puppy
View attachment 3867588
Beautiful! Pyrs are supposed to blow twice a year, same no altering makes it better
That's good to know. Still, looking at LGD breeds, I'm leaning towards a short coated breed. Easier for me to handle, and the 40°C summers (even if double coated) must be a nightmare to bear
Well it's supposed to keep them cool but willow does not like heat at all.

What breeds are you looking at? I love Anatolian Shepherd's, very easy to train but indeed they have a double coat....

All of the breeds I'm looking at are double coated, but their coat isn't long. I've looked at Anatolians and Kangals, but there seem to be no breeders of those here. The other two I'm looking at (and have already located breeders) is the Molossus of Epirus, and the Central Asian Shepherd. I'm a little bit hesitant on the latter, since I've heard/read a few bad stories. That said, I haven't interacted with one in real life

I won't be getting an LGD for quite some time, so I do have time to make a good choice

All of the breeds I'm looking at are double coated, but their coat isn't long. I've looked at Anatolians and Kangals, but there seem to be no breeders of those here. The other two I'm looking at (and have already located breeders) is the Molossus of Epirus, and the Central Asian Shepherd. I'm a little bit hesitant on the latter, since I've heard/read a few bad stories. That said, I haven't interacted with one in real life

I won't be getting an LGD for quite some time, so I do have time to make a good choice
Good call.... I like Kangals too. Going to a dog show is a great way to interact with many breeds. I assisted on a dissertation where we did a certain type of puppy aptitude test on many different breeds (breeders let us test and we in turn novice trained some of the pups.) What was amazing to see if how much character really is breed specific.

Back
Top Bottom