Grossly swollen, fluid-filled waddle- rooster

I think there's a greater possibility this swelling is from an insect bite or an injury than a serious disease.
I think you’re right!! The rooster is so much better today. I figure if it were a serious illness, he’d be much sicker by now.

His swelling is greatly decreased, but his waddle had filled back up by this morning. So I drained it again. It was older blood and fluid, and it appears that the fluid around his neck area drained down into the waddle overnight...since I had emptied the waddle yesterday.

He even started crowing again today and was spunkier when I was handling him. Yesterday he just stood there, so I know he’s feeling better.

I think if I can just keep any infection away while he heals up, he’ll be good to go!

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and support! 🥰

Here is a picture comparing him yesterday and then today. Even his smaller waddle is shrinking back as it was swollen, too (but firm, instead of fluid-filled).

1664505848371.png

I think you’re right!! The rooster is so much better today. I figure if it were a serious illness, he’d be much sicker by now.

His swelling is greatly decreased, but his waddle had filled back up by this morning. So I drained it again. It was older blood and fluid, and it appears that the fluid around his neck area drained down into the waddle overnight...since I had emptied the waddle yesterday.

He even started crowing again today and was spunkier when I was handling him. Yesterday he just stood there, so I know he’s feeling better.

I think if I can just keep any infection away while he heals up, he’ll be good to go!

Thank you so much to everyone for the advice and support! 🥰

Here is a picture comparing him yesterday and then today. Even his smaller waddle is shrinking back as it was swollen, too (but firm, instead of fluid-filled).

View attachment 3275841
You're so amazing! Great job on your roo! He looks so much better.

I have had roo's get hematoma's on the comb and wattles from trauma (fighting). It feels like a large, fluid filled spot/blister. Sometimes they can get quite large. They tend to fill back up from where ever the blood is seeping from and can take a very long time to resolve sometimes. Since you drained blood, it may be a hematoma from some kind of trauma. I've seen them on my roo's from fighting. I have one old roo that gets beat up on occasion, and he gets them more often.
I have a Roo with what I’m thinking is a trauma blister type thing going on in his eyelid from the head Roo going after him. He is separated but since you Eve dealt with this before so you have advice? Should I be trying to drain?

I have a Roo with what I’m thinking is a trauma blister type thing going on in his eyelid from the head Roo going after him. He is separated but since you Eve dealt with this before so you have advice? Should I be trying to drain?
Can you post some pictures?

Back
Top Bottom