Guinea keets get adopted by a quail..?

Mo_fawaazzz

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
I picked up two small keets from my feed store and they were super stressed. They were not eating food or drinking water, and they were absolutely terrified of humans. I heard that keeping them with chicks will make them somewhat less wild and loud. My chicks are too old to be kept with these keets though.

I decided to let in a 5 week old coturnix quail with them, and they are like a little family now. The quail pecked at the food/water and showed the keets how to eat and drink. Now it is nighttime and they are all huddled up. The keets follow the quail around, foraging with the quail. I do not plan on keeping them together for too long, however. I will probably separate them once the guineas get too big for the quail to handle.

My question is that how will the behavior of these two guineas differ now that they are being raised by and accustomed to the quietest, chillest poultry bird? When they are older, will they act like quail or guineas? One time I raised guineas alongside chickens and they kinda lost their guinea side - they were more quieter (not completely quiet- they made noises whenever the chickens did) and went along with the chickens. They were different than guineas that were raised alongside other guineafowl (that would be a loud bunch of buck-wheats and screaming along with flying all over the place), as these guinea keets that were raised alongside chickens did were not really flighty and behaved more like chickens. The guineas were more mellow and the loudest they got was a slight buck-wheating.

Will these quail-raised guineas act like guineas or will they be quieter and act like quail?
Will they get along with my turkeys/chickens/ducks once they grow up or will they still want to be with the quails?

When they are older they will act like guineas. You have imprinted them with a quail which means they will think quail are guineas too and they will treat quail the same way they would treat other guineas.

Imprinting them does not remove their instincts which are different than the instincts of any other poultry.

Back
Top Bottom