Guinea talk.

Pics
I just saw someone post these in the guineas fowl Facebook group. Guinea leggings!

https://charlies-project-leggings-for-a-cause.myshopify.com/products/pre-order-rooster-leggings

I love those leggings! I may have to get them, although I'm not sure that my husband would be excited about them. He already thinks I'm a crazy bird lady and this would probably seal the deal in his mind!

Oh, that's great news!  Your guinea girls are gold star performers - they really have assimilated well with your flock.  They probably have forgotten that they are guineas and now think of themselves as chickens.  I'll bet Elvis had something to do with that.  Making custard pies with all those eggs? 

Yes they have adjusted well. The first week they were here I thought it was a huge mistake. But they have really grown on us. I think our grandson likes the guineas more than the chickens, except that they won't let him pet them.
I thought my wife was nuts for ordering a case of egg cartons from Amazon, but I understand now. I asked her if we needed to buy another refrigerator just for eggs. They were just sitting on th kitchen island but now she's afraid she can't get rid of them fast enough, so she wants them in the frig. We are gonna hafta go to the parking lot sale at TSC to try to sell them quicker. We give away 5-6 dozen a week at Sunday School but still have more than the family can use.

Yes they have adjusted well. The first week they were here I thought it was a huge mistake. But they have really grown on us. I think our grandson likes the guineas more than the chickens, except that they won't let him pet them.
I thought my wife was nuts for ordering a case of egg cartons from Amazon, but I understand now. I asked her if we needed to buy another refrigerator just for eggs. They were just sitting on th kitchen island but now she's afraid she can't get rid of them fast enough, so she wants them in the frig. We are gonna hafta go to the parking lot sale at TSC to try to sell them quicker. We give away 5-6 dozen a week at Sunday School but still have more than the family can use.

I'll be in your situation before too long. Right now I only get three eggs a day because most of my girls are too young and a few are sitting or raising babies. I currently give eggs away but I think once I am getting close to three dozen a day I'll try selling them, to support the feed if nothing else. The guineas support the flock in the summer through keet and hatching eggs sales but it would be nice to have a jar of money to let funds build up in since feed costs do go up in winter with shorter free ranging and inclement weather.

In other news, I did my usual head count before bed last night and one of pied pearl girls was missing. The flock had a scare while out in the soybeans yesterday. Everyone started yelling and came flying full force out of the field, and of course I searched them for the baby. I saw mama say to dad, "wow, that was close! Bring baby to the run and we'll go get a snack." Dad said "ummm I thought baby was with you..." They looked at each other and their eyes got big and they ran yelling toward the field, and so did I lol. After a moment finally baby came flying out and landed by her parents. They were relieved but I still made sure to scld them for taking baby to dangerous places, though I'm sure it went in one ear and out the other. Crisis averted, I went into the house and didn't bother to count the rest. Well, like I said, one of the teenagers was gone and I was sure a fox got her. It had me anxious and restless VB all night . Around 3am I heard a fox barking which I thought confirmed my fears. I planned to look for evidence in the morning. Well, I got up to feed them this morning and my missing girl was running around the run trying to get in! I was so happy despite that she started picking on chickens as soon as she was back with the flock.

Last edited:
I have to brag on my 3 guinea girls! We had a predator scare last week. We thought we had something picking off chickens while they were free ranging so everybody got locked down from last Wednesday to this morning. Turns out we just cant count. It's hard to count 46 birds on the roost in the dark. Anyway everybody got along with no fussing and fighting. The girls took it in stride and hardly complained at all. They got out to free range again this morning and acted like all was forgiven. From the stories I had heard I was expecting dead baby chicks or beaten up roosters but it was all fine. We even got 91 eggs from the hens while we were gone for a 3 day weekend.

That's alot of eggs. They must have got bored from being shut up and just decided to lay a bunch of eggs. I'm glad they all did well being shut up like that. I bet you were afraid to open the coop door when you let them out. Elvis must have kept everybody in check.

My great granddaughter likes the guineas the best too. She follows along behind them wanting to touch them. They seem to play a little game with her chase us and see if you can catch us.

I'll be in your situation before too long. Right now I only get three eggs a day because most of my girls are too young and a few are sitting or raising babies. I currently give eggs away but I think once I am getting close to three dozen a day I'll try selling them, to support the feed if nothing else. The guineas support the flock in the summer through keet and hatching eggs sales but it would be nice to have a jar of money to let funds build up in since feed costs do go up in winter with shorter free ranging and inclement weather.

In other news, I did my usual head count before bed last night and one of pied pearl girls was missing. The flock had a scare while out in the soybeans yesterday. Everyone started yelling and came flying full force out of the field, and of course I searched them for the baby. I saw mama say to dad, "wow, that was close! Bring baby to the run and we'll go get a snack." Dad said "ummm I thought baby was with you..." They looked at each other and their eyes got big and they ran yelling toward the field, and so did I lol. After a moment finally baby came flying out and landed by her parents. They were relieved but I still made sure to scld them for taking baby to dangerous places, though I'm sure it went in one ear and out the other. Crisis averted, I went into the house and didn't bother to count the rest. Well, like I said, one of the teenagers was gone and I was sure a fox got her. It had me anxious and restless VB all night . Around 3am I heard a fox barking which I thought confirmed my fears. I planned to look for evidence in the morning. Well, I got up to feed them this morning and my missing girl was running around the run trying to get in! I was so happy despite that she started picking on chickens as soon as she was back with the flock.
I'm glad you gave babies parents a good talking to.
wink.png
I'm glad the baby is safe and the other missing girl. It's such a relief when you see their safe.

OMG - the way you told the story, my heart was racing the entire time I was reading it! I should have read the ending first. So glad that it was happy....

Hi everybody how is everyone doing? We're doing fine here. A while ago I went out the back door to feed the chickens and Spiderman and Mary Jane run in the door. They haven't been inside all day so I guess they have to check every thing out. My granddaughter was here the other day and I let them inside so she could pet them. I think it was Spiderman sitting on my lap and Aubree was just a petting him. He never offered to peck her at all. She calls them keeters that's the nickname we call them by.

You all take care and let me know how everyone is doing.

Back
Top Bottom