guineas?

chickaboo7

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2007
Manahawkin NJ
I'm thinking of getting a guinea but I have a couple of ?

Do they make noise, crow, I can't have that where I live.

Can I clip their wings?

are they agressive with kids, other chickens

do you have to have more than one?

Thanks

G.

I dont personally have any...but my nabor does. They are the noisiest things in the world!! If ANYTHING moves outside thier pen, they scream...and I mean LOUD! He lives just about a 1/4 mile from me, and I can not sleep with my windows open, because of his birds. If you were in the country, and was worried about snakes, ticks...things like that, I would say get them. But in a suburban setting?? Nope. I wouldnt!

They can be very noisy.....Usually they are the noisest in their first year.....they make a buck-wheeeettttt noise if they are a girl and a really neat alarm sound if they are a boy..they boys won't buck-wheat...You will definaty know if someone or something ins on your property...they will go in your driveway and stand there and alarm if someone is driving up...great watch dogs!!

They are wonderers...they don't stay close like chickens..they will wander for up to a mile....most of them stay within a few acres but have been known to wander that far. Mine weren't overly noisy...I only had 3..the bigger the group the more noise you will have and I do reccomend more that one. I had 1 male and 2 females. They were really friendly because I held them a lot..even tho they hated it...lol

They would perch on my shoulders like little parrots.

They are not aggressive towards people or chickens..many people keep them with chickens anyway.

You can clip their wings....they will fly if you don't. It is very important to make sure that when they move outside that they are locked up INSIDE their coop for 10-12 weeks...they take a lot longer to learn where home is. Mine were 3 and 4 months old and they usually came home every night but never did understand that they had to go IN the house at night. I had to catch them and put them in. I chose not to get them again this year because they were a lot of work and they would wander too far for my liking.

Hope this helped some....good luck!!!

To keet or not to keet?? ha We live in the country and in the middle of our acreage. We only have two, one male and one female guinea. Like previously said, female calls with two syllables and the male only uses one syllable.
We need them for ticks, etc. I found a nest of about sixteen or more eggs hidden in the weeds with my female sitting on it. I waited until she got off and put all the eggs under my brooder hen who was brooding without any eggs. I had no idea if they were fertile, too cold or what but since the hen was sitting she may as well be sitting on something! Today, I candled one....I see a large dark spot and a long narrow thing in there which I take to be a vein. Now I am excited. I wanted more guineas and I just may be getting some in three more weeks. Out of courtesy to your neighbors, don't get a lot or if you are able ...go for it! Best watch dogs I have ever had.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom