Handling chickens tips

TheLadiesStepMomma

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2024
Hello,
While my neighbors are out of the country I am looking after their 5 older chickens. When I went to close them up tonight something had crashed through their coop gate and there were feathers all over. They were shaken up, but not were missing or had any obvious injuries.

I’d like to give them a closer look for injuries tomorrow but I’ve never actually handled them before. Any tips or things I should know??

Appreciate your help!

I’d like to give them a closer look for injuries tomorrow but I’ve never actually handled them before. Any tips or things I should know??

Appreciate your help!
Do it at night. Wear a headlamp so both your hands are free and retrieve them off the roost. They are much easier to handle at night. It will be much easier if you have a helper.

Check in their "creases." Under wings, where legs join the body, and the vent area, under the tail. Part the feathers. Chickens bruise green but tomorrow may be too soon to see bruising so check them again the next day. Watch for limping or droopy wings. Watch for chickens just sitting around, huddled and looking miserable, not eating, drinking, scratching the ground or grooming. Watch for chickens with hunched-up backs and tails pointing at the ground, these are signs of chickens in pain. Good luck, hopefully everybody is fine.

Is the gate secure?

Back
Top Bottom