Handling new chicks

Eddy Chicken

Songster
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
Southern New Jersey
My kids are wanting to hold the chicks. I would rather the chicks eat, drink, and do chicken stuff. Is there such a thing as handling them too much? This morning when they arrived I was the greatest Dad in the world....this evening I'm the evil dictator lol....

Ed

I'd say it depends on how old your children and the chicks are. I have a 3yr grandaughter who always wanted to hold them too. I would let her every so often but I was hovering close by. I even had a hard time leaving them alone. They're so cute. I don't feel it would hurt as long as they aren't rough and the chicks get a good break of rest and chick play.

We handled our chicks every single day. My girls are very good at 8 and 10. I have the friendliest chickens ever!

I don't see anything wrong with them gently holding them for a few minutes.

It also gives them an awesome opportunity to learn the care and handling of baby chicks.

This can then be transitioned into the Joy of cleaning the brooder box.

big_smile.png

Our kids were 6, 9 and 11 when ours hatched. They held them several times a day. Makes for friendly chickens and great memories. I miss those days...

Quote:
We didn't have any kids to handle our chicks, so we had to do it. My neighbor's little boy played with theirs and they were much more friendly than ours. We might have to get some kids to play with our next chicks. lol.

We handled them right from the day we got 'em all
tongue.png

Perching on the arms, shoulders, head, they love it and it helps them become accustomed to being around people.
And besides, they really are too cute
lol.png

Just beware that chick poop is really quite gross and when I was younger I had minor freak-outs when one of them went on my arm.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom