TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
For the past 2 months my chickens hang out in the coop A LOT. They’ll come out here and there to eat or drink, but it just seems like they’d much rather hang in the coop than in the run! We do give them time out in the grass, supervised, but when not out there they’re usually in the coop. I don’t see signs of sickness, and I’m not aware of anything that could have scared them. We have cameras in the run and coop and they just seem to be hanging out in there. It has gotten cooler, but even on beautiful days in the 60s or 70s, it’s been the same.

Beginner chicken owner, so I’m not sure what’s normal… other than a friend who has chickens the same age and same area, she said her chickens are rarely in the coop. Could they just like the bedding in there more than the run? They aren’t laying yet and don’t seem to care much about the nesting boxes either. They’re 21 weeks old.

Attachments

• C48856C5-2D72-426A-B15B-1A014E5E9191.jpeg
    C48856C5-2D72-426A-B15B-1A014E5E9191.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
How long have they lived in this coop vs their brooder (or other location)? Were they brave before, or are you just noticing they are kind of homebodies compared to your friend's flock?

How long have they lived in this coop vs their brooder (or other location)? Were they brave before, or are you just noticing they are kind of homebodies compared to your friend's flock?
They’re 21 weeks and have been in the coop since about 8 weeks. They had no issue be in the run or coop before, it’s just been the last 2 months or so that they seem to mostly want to hang in the coop. I just happened to be talking about it with my friend and she mentioned her girls are rarely ever in the coop.

You'll get more experienced input from other folks but here's what my girls do:

They choose where to hang out based on either amenities or security. For my flock, it's dust bathing all the way UNTIL they get spooked. Then they hide under the coop and just renovate for dust bathing there (it's walled in on three sides and they seem to love that when scared). If the weather is super bad, they may even go inside the coop at that point, and that's their highest security spot.

Best thing I can think of is to see what they have inside vs out. If they love dusting in there, make a better dust bath outside. If they seem to like more walls you can add some barriers or wrap part of the run for extra shelter. But if it's none of that, it could be a predator risk they've spotted that's making them extra cautious. Maybe take a few extra looks around at different times than usual and see if anything turns up.

Fwiw I have 9 girls and a roo. I'm unsure if flock size has anything to do with how secure they feel as a group, but it could be relevant to their confidence, especially if all are pullets with no grown ups to show them the ropes.

Just posted above. We only have 4 chickens, the run is about 16x6’
Nice!
They choose where to hang out based on either amenities or security. For my flock, it's dust bathing all the way UNTIL they get spooked.
I was thinking something might have spooked them, but they should have gotten over it in 2 months.
As long as they are getting enough to eat and drink, I'd not worry about it too much.

You'll get more experienced input from other folks but here's what my girls do:

They choose where to hang out based on either amenities or security. For my flock, it's dust bathing all the way UNTIL they get spooked. Then they hide under the coop and just renovate for dust bathing there (it's walled in on three sides and they seem to love that when scared). If the weather is super bad, they may even go inside the coop at that point, and that's their highest security spot.

Best thing I can think of is to see what they have inside vs out. If they love dusting in there, make a better dust bath outside. If they seem to like more walls you can add some barriers or wrap part of the run for extra shelter. But if it's none of that, it could be a predator risk they've spotted that's making them extra cautious. Maybe take a few extra looks around at different times than usual and see if anything turns up.

Fwiw I have 9 girls and a roo. I'm unsure if flock size has anything to do with how secure they feel as a group, but it could be relevant to their confidence, especially if all are pullets with no grown ups to show them the ropes.
I think you’re probably right that they may be spooked. Their coop and run was mostly shaded all summer until the leaves started falling… and though we have a tarp over the top of the run, it still feels very open. In the summer they hung out under the coop a lot, but not lately, and I think it may be because of only one side being walled off like you’re suggesting. I’ll try walking off the other 2 and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom