Hardie Boards for roof sheathing???

TROPIC HENS

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2012
South Dade (Miami), FL
I was told that they should work great for sheathing. They're water and moisture proof plus a heck of a lot cheaper tha. PT Ply wood. I purchased a few sheets. Lets see how it goes. If anyone has experience with them, please chime in.

Agree. Not really it's purpose, if you are referring to the cement board used under ceramic tile. If you mean the composite, glued sawdust type stuff, I'd still not recommend it. Sheathing, whether on the walls or on the roof is intended to be covered by vinyl or steel siding on the outside walls and shingles or roll roofing on the roof.

At $8 a sheet, good old OSB, if properly covered, will outlast any of us. No need to buy PT sheathing if one is just going to cover it with roofing material.

Hardee Plank Siding is what I think he is talking about. It' looks like wood but it is a man made material.. Suppose to be indestructible.

Will you use them over plywood or alone? Will you stack them like German siding?

I was told that they should work great for sheathing. They're water and moisture proof plus a heck of a lot cheaper tha. PT Ply wood. I purchased a few sheets. Lets see how it goes. If anyone has experience with them, please chime in.
A common misconception of any cementitious board is that it is water proof... it is not. It will wick water just like any cement product and if left unchecked for an extended period of time will deteriorate.

The boards are called Hardiebacker. They're a cement mix pressed into a board. I was planning of using the proper screws made for the boards to fasten them to the rafters and then put curragated roof panels over them. I left them out last night while it was raining (like it does everyday here), and noticed that the ends were softened and corners appeared like they became fragile. Theres goes that idea. Think I'm bringing them back for some good ol'OSB. Guess I shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. Funny thing is, the guy at Homedepot was all for it. Most of those guys are lost.

Last edited:
Kinda figured this, really. Yup, I would just go with the tried and true. 7/16" OSB is often the cheapest board sold at the HD, Lowes, Menards type stores and has worked well for half a century. Rarely over $9 a 4x8 sheet. Cover/staple with felt (tar paper), install a stick or two of drip edge,(not expensive) and shingle away with 7/8" roofing nails. Or install your roof panels. Done.

Last edited:
Kinda figured this, really. Yup, I would just go with the tried and true. 7/16" OSB is often the cheapest board sold at the HD, Lowes, Menards type stores and has worked well for half a century. Rarely over $9 a 4x8 sheet. Cover/staple with felt (tar paper), install a stick or two of drip edge,(not expensive) and shingle away with 7/8" roofing nails. Or install your roof panels. Done.
Exactly what I have in mind. If I would have just gone this route from the beginning, I would have had the roof on already. Oh well, hopefully this week. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom