Hardware cloth under the whole coop rather than just an apron?

NSIN26

Hatching
Jun 19, 2024
Hello!

I am in the planning phase of building a walk-in cage/aviary for Quail. (unfortunately I live in a town where I can't have chickens). Within the Aviary the Quail will have a coop, but I would like my kids to be able to walk into the aviary and interact with them without worrying about them getting away.

I have been researching predator proofing hutches as I do have rats in my area. I was considering installing a 24" wide 1/2" hardware cloth around the perimeter of the aviary to prevent them from digging in. However, I also read that they can dig from further outside to get in.

Is just laying down the hardware cloth under the entire footprint (almost like a rug laid out) of the aviary a tactic that could help? I was thinking this could prevent them from coming up into the aviary, no matter from how far out the burrow from.

Thank you!

Hello!

I am in the planning phase of building a walk-in cage/aviary for Quail. (unfortunately I live in a town where I can't have chickens). Within the Aviary the Quail will have a coop, but I would like my kids to be able to walk into the aviary and interact with them without worrying about them getting away.

I have been researching predator proofing hutches as I do have rats in my area. I was considering installing a 24" wide 1/2" hardware cloth around the perimeter of the aviary to prevent them from digging in. However, I also read that they can dig from further outside to get in.

Is just laying down the hardware cloth under the entire footprint (almost like a rug laid out) of the aviary a tactic that could help? I was thinking this could prevent them from coming up into the aviary, no matter from how far out the burrow from.

Thank you!
The rats "can" burrow further than 2'. And they do all the time.

But it isn't the distance of the tunnel needed that allows the 2' predator apron to work. It is that rats consistently choose to start digging next to something like a wall or a fence or even a big rock. If they try and come to the mesh, they will try another place but along the fence, not out further from it. So they find the mesh again. Rinse and repeat until they give up.

As long as you don't hold the mesh down with a row of something that sticks up, it nearly always works.

You might consider 1/4" mesh, though. Or metal lathe (what is usually used as a base for stucco). Either will keep weasels and mice out also. The lathe is also heavier guage metal and sharp.

Back
Top Bottom