Has anyone ordered from Sandhill Preservation?

tricia

Songster
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
West Central Wisconsin
I want some nice quality Marans and was thinking Sandhill would be a good place to order them. What do you guys think? If not through them, where else could I get Marans? I ordered some a couple years ago from Ideal (whom I will never again order anything from) and I couldnt tell any color difference between their eggs and my other chickens eggs.
Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I think a few people from Homesteading Today have.
Hi Tricia, I posted on HT and will let you know what folks think...Okey dokey artichokey?
smile.png

Last edited:
Okey dokey artichokey?

Haha - cute!

Thanks for doing that for me. I guess it seems to me that its as big a chance getting them from there as it is any other hatchery? I'm so bummed, I would really like a few nice ones. I have a friend who is from France that was looking into getting some eggs for me, but it's such a huge ordeal and I dont have an incubator. I can't give up though - I am determined to get at least one nice Maran somewhere!​

I have ordered chicks thru Sandhill several times and pleased with the chicks.

I havent had any Marans in my assortment but a friend did and she said they were DARK eggs and after the first year of laying going into the second year, they would just go broody often. Other than that, she was very pleased with the color of the eggs and the disposition of the Marans. I can tell you that the eggs were very dark brown. ALOT darker than the common brown egg layers. If you want the darkest eggers, the Penedenscenas are much darker than any of the Marans, Welsummers and Barnvelders......I love the Welsummer's color of eggs, brownish reddish sort of egg...so lovely!

I got some Pens and Welsummers eggs due to hatch this week.....if you want some eggs or possibly some chicks of the Welsummer breed, try Mothergoose, she got some awwwwesome eggs!

Thank you very much for that post. I really appreciate any info/experience people have on this!

The only thing I worry about with Penedesencas is that they are mediterranians (sp?) and I'm not sure how they would do with the winter here. Maybe I'll order a few of each and see what happens.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom